Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
This post reminds me of another discussion asking what it takes to meet the "classic" look of a Triumph? As our memories fade, seems like it's worth revisiting the late 50's and early 60's designs again. Agreed for me, gold forks aren't it. For me you need silver or black, plus gaiters. You also need a 3D tank badge (yes, I know, someone ruined my day by telling me it's plastic,) and you must have spoke wheels and fake or real carbs. And before the cynical among us jumps in, also agreed, you don't need the oil leaking, poor reliability and inconsistent electrics that came with the early originals.

At the time I remember the outcry of the traditionalists poking fun at the early Japanese bikes with electric start and indicators. We all know where that went as the voice of the market spoke for the new entrants.

Checking out the latest Thruxtons, I understand they handle better, go faster, and are more comfortable...BUT, sadly each new model introduction seems to take another step further away from that "classic" look that defines and distinguishes our brand from so many others. Must admit to still lamenting the loss of a kick-start, but also the absence of ABS on my 2013, that I had assumed after 30 plus years since introduction on motorcycles (I think BMW was the first), would be standard and a positive nod to safety. However its remains clear to me, the reason I bought my Thruxton and will NOT be replacing it until something "better" comes up, is the classic LOOKS! And that seems to be the general consensus among those that stop to chat when I'm out and about!

It's in the upper 40's, unusually warm for a Michigan February....I'm going for a ride.

Be safe, Thruxty.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Triumph did a good job creating some eye catching classically styled bikes with the twins. I agree with @Thurxty , adding things, upside down gold forks, short extra fat rear tires, etc. takes away from what attracted me to the bikes in the first place. In modding these bikes I prefer to make them look older, more retro not newer. It's like putting chrome 21'' wheels on a 60's muscle car, it might attract attention but it's not going to look better than with original or period correct wheels and tires.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts