Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... or is this just the way TORs are on the America?
The heat shield doesn't even cover the clamped joint.
The heat shields on stock mufflers did.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Both sets of TORs I owned had heat shields just like the very restrictive original mufflers. Long time since I have had them so hopefully someone with the later model year TORs can reply. Went way back in the pics to find a set of TORs I basterdized. They were for the early EFI & carb models if that matters. You can see the shield covering the header/muffler joint.
edit: changed the pic for a closer one

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... I now have shorts on my '08 carbie and longs on my '14 LT.
Neither set covers the joint.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We did have a good bit of searching for the last of the factory Triumph Off Road mufflers last year. More than one member made the change. Maybe one of them will pass by and lend a pic or at least some info like a part number for confirmation. Seems even with the "stay home" directions in so many places I'm not sure many are checking the forum. Of course we have had fewer & fewer visitors here as time has gone by. Am I just being chatty hoping someone else will comment?
Not sure what part number was used for the sets I had. There was a not that easy to see label on the bottom of the mufflers near the hanger bracket.

·
Registered
823 Posts
..... or is this just the way TORs are on the America?
The heat shield doesn't even cover the clamped joint.
The heat shields on stock mufflers did.
View attachment 721351
Yep this seems to be the way these are put together. I bought my America early last year and the previous owner threw in a set of TORS for good measure, I fitted them but didn't like the look of the exposed clamp. So took them off again and went back to the standard 'pea shooters'. To be honest I'm not that keen on the big 'slash cut' look either. The 'pea shooters' are a tad on the quite side so during this summer I'm going to look into gutting them to get a better sound.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I couldn't stand looking at it anymore and had to cover it up.

Formed a cover around 1.5" PVC pipe

Finished cover

Installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts