Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
So, it's just a cable extension, correct? If it's essentially a wire just hanging off your battery waiting for the GPS to be plugged in, then, no, you aren't drawing any current away from the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
If there is a LED (for whatever reason,) then it can eventually drain the battery. However, it will take some time for that to happen. You could figure it out by using the formula I=E/R. I being the current, E being the battery voltage, and R being the resistance of the LED. Then you could figure out how much current draw you are putting on the battery and decide if you charge it up enough between rides to keep it from being completely drained. A more real world approach would be to hook an ammeter to it and just read the current draw. Also, you can check the voltage on the cable with a voltmeter and verify there is not some sort of power transformer inline, (which is highly unlikely anyway since the GPS should be designed to run on a 12vdc car system.)

All that being said: I wouldn't leave the cable on there with a glowing light because it will drain the battery, (eventually.)
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top