Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'd be more worried about the angle it sits at, don't know about the Scrambler (never looked at one of them) but my Thruxton stand comes out at an angle which puts it under a lot of bending forces, I'd not like Aluminium for that (unless it was shaped in a way to resist these forces) whereas my other bikes have stands which come down much closer to vertical so the forces are more longitudinal and not so much bending, these would probably be OK in ally.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Which aftermarket sidestand do you have on your airhead? I've owned about a dozen airhead beemers and have yet to encounter an alloy stand.

Regards,

--Rich
Sorry,Rich,I don't know.
The bike has been in the family since the '80's,and it was on it when we got it.I just always assumed it was stock. I never really paid much attention to prop stands on other BMWs.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sorry,Rich,I don't know.
The bike has been in the family since the '80's,and it was on it when we got it.I just always assumed it was stock. I never really paid much attention to prop stands on other BMWs.
Gotcha. Just never heard of an alloy stand on an airhead.

If the stand is mounted up adjacent to the forward motor mount on a short steel pin welded into the frame, then its indeed the stock sidestand. You can get rid of the self-retracting feature by deploying the sidestand & loosening the forward motor mount nut, which allows the sidestand spring mount to rotate downward. Retorque the motor mount nut and Robert is your mother's brother.

Retracting the sidestand and loosening the motor mount nut/retorqueing returns the sidestand to its self-retracting mode.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thank's Rich.That's great info on rotating the spring mount.I never heard of that before. My R75/5 had an aftermarket stand(also on the bike when I got it)that stayed where you put it,but I soon got out of the habit of using it,because after leaving it on the stand for any length of time,the resulting smoke cloud made me think I was on the starting line of a race full of two strokes. The centre stand on the Airhead Boxers is so well designed,and so easy to deploy,that I never missed a usable side stand at all.

The whole issue of stands on my /6 is probably moot anyway.She's getting a sidecar as soon as I can afford it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a buddy stop over during the holidays. He's a hotrod/biker type. I was showing him some weight savings steps I've been taking on the Scrambler. He suggested replacing the side stand with one made from aluminum. He said he'd make a smaller pad and not replace that big loop, just put on a small tab I could catch with my boot. He says he might be able to have one made at a fab shop he works with.

Has anyone done this or thought about it?
Hi rmak

I'm interested in saving some weight like this. Did you end up getting the alliy side stand?

Alwyn

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not exactly on topic as I have no regard for weight to horsepower issues. Any part that can be replaced with chrome should be. I bought an Ebay chrome stand which bolted right on and the bike sits nice. Be minddful that you have to weld the bump on it for neutral safety so when you fabbing a stand take that into account.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts