Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a buddy stop over during the holidays. He's a hotrod/biker type. I was showing him some weight savings steps I've been taking on the Scrambler. He suggested replacing the side stand with one made from aluminum. He said he'd make a smaller pad and not replace that big loop, just put on a small tab I could catch with my boot. He says he might be able to have one made at a fab shop he works with.

Has anyone done this or thought about it?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Just my opinion, aluminum is too brittle for that application, I would not trust it. Maybe, and that a big maybe...if it had a massive point of attachment on it where it bolts to the frame. But I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Aluminum would be an excellent candidate for a side stand. 6061 has excellent properties as well as any of the 7000 series.
Brittle is not a term I'd associate with aluminum. The mechanical properties of aluminum are well suited for this.

I'd gladly take part in a group buy.
Owen

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
283 Posts
I believe Ducati owners have had some bad experiences with their aluminium side stands, especially on the 748/848/998 models. Mainly bending but also some breaks which provoked some very expensive repairs to fairings, etc.

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
I suppose it depends how that stand is made. If it's a forging made from suitable material it'll be OK, although I would be happier if the pivot area was bushed with some harder material. On the other hand if it's cast from some impurity-incrusted pot metal...:(

Remember those Norton Comando footrest plates?. I've seen them bent double in quality tests without breaking. They were quality forgings.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I think it's a great idea.I agree with Forchetto about the pivot area.

The prop stand on my R90/6 is aluminum.Never had an issue,and that bike is 36 years old.Although,I'll admit to using the centre stand almost exclusively,because the prop stand is spring loaded,and if the bike is bumped hard enough to take the weight off the stand,it'll retract all by itself.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't have to, Mike, if you'd let me take off that oil cooler! Ha, ha!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I start or contribute to these bike weight threads for two reasons. One, I'm generally interested in seeing how much weight I can drop from my machine. It interests me. And two, I can't wait to see how long it takes for someone to say go on a diet, yuk, yuk. or some variation thereof.

That joke is so old and crusty it was first told when the dead sea was just sick.

Tell your racing buddy that if he's sh**ting a side stand, he should see his proctolgist immediately, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
My Guzzi has an aluminum kick stand and, yes, it makes me nervous. You can watch it bend if you put a little pressure on the bike while it's on the stand.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The prop stand on my R90/6 is aluminum.Never had an issue,and that bike is 36 years old.Although,I'll admit to using the centre stand almost exclusively,because the prop stand is spring loaded,and if the bike is bumped hard enough to take the weight off the stand,it'll retract all by itself.
Which aftermarket sidestand do you have on your airhead? I've owned about a dozen airhead beemers and have yet to encounter an alloy stand.

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think they are a lot heavier. The thickness is greater and there is a thick loop instead of a tab to catch with your foot. Totally different animal. I'm hoping you didn't remove and weigh your kick stand, Dr.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
This was the original on my 2007 T100, not really that heavy, had it chromed about a month ago, looks great.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts