Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Altitude, pipe, K&N = new tune?

935 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tbnsw 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an 01 TT600 with a Micron can and K&N filter. I know everyone says to use the open can map with a non-stock exhaust. I have, as far as I know, the original stock map.

But I live in Denver (5000+ ft elevation), and I am wondering if a different tune is necessary with the reduced oxygen in the atmosphere? The bike runs pretty good except for a VERY slight surge at idle and the lack of power below 5000.

Thanks!

#4 ·
What you describe is normal, at any altitude, and the ECU should be able to compensate for the thinner air, so if it's running ok, and not too hot or anything you are probably alright.

Zane

#5 ·
Slight surge at idle means it's a bit too lean. If you richen it up a bit- a dealership will call it increasing the CO, if you have Tuneboy it's increasing the fuel idle trim value- it will help. Watch the coolant temperature. If it is regularly over 110C or if the temperature keeps rising when the fan kicks on and you are stuck in traffic, it's another sign you are running too lean.

#7 ·
Actually I don't think the temp has ever been as high as 110c (230F). It typically runs (in the heat of summer) around 220-224ish. When the fan kicks on the temp doesn't keep rising, so I guess I am not running that lean. Thanks for the info (again) Will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.