Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, sorry to thrash this horse even more...

i found a note i wrote to myself from steve wilson's book,
triumph motorcycles since 1950 where he describes an article by ron creasey in a 1985 issue of classic mechanics.

according to him this is the motorcycle mechanics article describes
the best way to fix the alternator rotor on a triumph.

this is the book in question:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Motor-Cycles-British-cycles/dp/1852605715/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331754656&sr=8-4[/ame]

now i have a few assorted copies of classic mechanics, even some of the 1985 issues, but can find nothing relevant.

anyone know the article i am talking about? maybe the article elates to some other british bike which uses Lucas alternators.

its not a big deal really, if i was paranoid i would do what stan shelton suggests but i just gave it a dose of locktite and torqued it up (-20%) i am just intrigued...

by the way, i believe Mr Shelton's technique was introduced because a rotor came lose on one of his bikes and cost him a race.

steve

·
Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
You still need to check the rotor for looseness on it's hub!

Either remove stator and check with a large pair of chan-L-lock pliers; or if already removed, clamp it in a vice between two washers (just the size of, or smaller than the hub) and check it there.

Any looseness at all indicates a potential catastrophic failure.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Two beer can shims stacked together = 0.008" (perfect)If you put the 2 shims anywhere (and everywhere) between the rotor and stator,the rotor should turn a full rotation without the shims binding.
If they bind,you need to bend one or two studs at a time.Re-fit the stator and measure again.Best to have most clearance at bottom and rear of the rotor.

·
Registered
874 Posts
So our American friend uses a "pop" (Coke) can "shim" & our Ozmate uses a "beer can" (how appropriate) shim LOL !! You blokes crack me up :D

Good advice however you look at it !!!

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You can often use a beer,in the sunburnt country.A whisky and coke isn't too bad either.
They used to say "hard-riding,hard-drinking men on horse-back".The horses are mostly gone (a useless waste of good grass;they eat more than an Angus or Hereford bull).The horsepower remains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts