Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sometimes those gaskets make good glue. Typically if you apply some outward force and tap with the rubber mallet eventually it will decide to come off. Trick is to not bend , break, smash, scratch or otherwise deform your cover or engine case.

Maybe try sticking a couple long bolts into a couple cover bolt holes but not into the threads in the case and pinch them together holding the cover and pull out and slightly down or up etc and tap with the mallet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mate I've just gone through this exercise with the covers on my Thruxton. They will come off. Do not be tempted to try and pry them off with anything - even a little bit, you'll only end up damaging them.

Your rubber mallet is the way to go. Just keep working your way around the cover and take your time. They have some little steel locating dowells that are a very snug fit and prevent the covers from going on or off if they're not parallel with your engine cases.

Steady as she goes and you'll be rewarded!

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If the rubber mallet won't break her free, try a steel hammer and block of hardwood. You will get better vibration this way which is what is needed .

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-11-23 15:55, milsherut wrote:
Thanks, guys. Sounds like persistance will win the day. Maybe I'll get to it after turkey.

I have a dead blow hammer that has replacable plastic tips.
When I use it I cover the piece with a shop rag and wack the s**t out of it. I will come off. It is not the amount of applied force, but knowing where to wach it. :-D

Steve, gears and all things mechanical

1 - 6 of 6 Posts