Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an alternate to a dedicated leather/fabric riding pants for in town riding. I use a dainese jacket and wear knee and shin guards, but wearing knee and shin guards underneath the jeans it little cumbersome and time consuming – I was wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestion for something like this:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/TPro_Body_Armor_Forcefield_Pro_Pant--642536.html

thank you,
D

·
Registered
366 Posts
My buddy wears these when we hit the hwy or for trips, but for in-town riding, he doesn't bother. All TPro gear is top quality and really well-designed, i have the back protector.

My biggest issue is that when i'm in-town riding i'm usually going somewhere (work, out for dinner, whatever) and having to change out of pants is annoying, not to mention then i'll need to carry them around with me.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i know you are looking for something to wear under pants, but i have a pair of thse pants and really like them:

they are BMW city pants. i like them because you can get away with wearing them to a bar or most places casual and not look like a retard wearing your leather pants or racing style pants. they have knee and pelvis protection and are made of material similar to heavy carharts, but the material is supposedly more abrasion resistant than heavy canvas.

if i remember correctly they came in at around the same price as the garment you are considering. i like the idea of those as well, but think they would be a bit hot under a pair of jeans in warmer weather, and wouldnt want to wear them under my pants all night if i was out somewhere, but i can defiantely see applications for them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been looking for pants too, casual jeans-looking, but really protective. Want to avoid the parachutist/motorcycle pants look. BMW city pants are nice -- not into the zippers tho and I think they are overpriced for what they are.

These are the closest thing I've found. they look sweet. You can get without police stripes. They are expensive tho, with a liner for cold, zip cuffs, and tax almost $500! Plus you can't try on and can't exchange! :mad:

http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Street_Jean

·
Registered
435 Posts
in the summer, the t-pro body armor is probably too hot to wear... so that would be uncomfortable (at least some motorcycle pants will flow some air).

Plus- the armor is designed to reduce impact, not be abrasion resistant... so any amount of slide would cut right through denim, then through that stuff.

Get you a one piece you can zip over street clothes. Some are expensive - but are quick to get on and off. A good roadcrafter zips on and off really quickly. I briefly had an olympia stealth, but you're no better off than draggin jeans with that thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My only issue with a dedicated riding pant is that it would look like as if I have a riding uniform ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans which I really like if Im riding around town or doing short distance motorway stuff.

I have friends who wear them everywhere, some of who have crashed and theyve been perfect and some who have burned through them at relatively low speeds.

I always feel abit exposed pushing it with no padding etc in them, theyre only good for abrasion (apparently), no good on the initial impact. I have a pair of cordura pants and some leathers if Im just riding for the sake of it.

Theyre perfect if you need to do something when you get to where your going though.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Draggin or some other Kevlar reinforced jeans or combat pants every time. I'm a city rider too and I use my bike for work so leathers are totally impractical. If your worried about armour buy some strap on motocross kneepads and wear em underneath. Me I have some Knox knee arour with a bit of velcro on em which I can stuff up the wider leg combats and stuff.

Theres realy nothing better. Grab gloves jacket and lid and ride. Hop of tother end hang up jacket gloves and lid and good to go. None of this huffin and puffin and looking like a refugee from a sci fi movie.

Leathers are for the Track, bad weather or a spirited ride out with no work day in between.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been thinking about getting some Bohn armor pants. They're similar to the T-Pro product first mentioned on here. There are a couple different options, and they're both supposed to provide a lot of padding and protection for knees, hips, etc. I wonder if anybody on here has experience with Bohn products?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got the bohn armour pants.... then sent them back. I thought they were horrible. The armour was a joke and they didn't fit well enough to convince me they would stay in place. Settled with the bohn shorts and icon knee protecters under regular pants.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the bohn armour pants.... then sent them back. I thought they were horrible. The armour was a joke and they didn't fit well enough to convince me they would stay in place. Settled with the bohn shorts and icon knee protecters under regular pants.
How do you get the Icon knee protectors to stay in place under regular pants??

I have the bohn pants and shirt. I use the pants under jeans and feel well protected from first impact, and since the jeans are relatively slim they do feel secure. The pads do not have a hard surface tho, so maybe not as strong as a CE pad. I love the Bohn shirt, which you can throw on under regular leather jackets and add a great layer of impact protection.

BUT I will say, I bought these before I saw my buddy's Ku****ani T-Pro leg protectors. CE approved, slim waffle nylon pads, thigh pads. Amazing. They cost more than bohn but I think they are far more valuable. I want these!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
O'Neal O'Knee Cups

I use the O'neal knee pads (link below) and they work well. Plus you can't go wrong for 9 bucks. They are small enough that they are barely noticeable under my jeans but they cover good amount of leg and stay in place with one strap. Now I need to pick up some protective shorts for my upper legs and behind, since I only wear heavy jeans when I ride.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/2726

note - I had to return the Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards I bought because they were huge.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Almost forgot:

Carhartts are my favored in town pants. http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/clothing/carhartt.php

I had the bottom of the double knee opened up and then had velcro sewn in so I could get normal knee armor up in there.

They actually crash pretty well considering what they are as well.
Any issue with those front-side rivets scratching the seat or tank? I might set fire to fire while wearing them if I got off the bike to see I had scratched it up with my friggin pants.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i've never scratched my tank while wearing carharts; i own both the regular canvas and the double knees.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Roger that. This looks like the route I'm gonna go. Thanks for the link and info.

I suppose I'll also look into some under-pant armor as well. I think I'll still hit well below the cost of "riding pants".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts