Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a cross reference chart for motorcycle oil filters, and found that, according to Triumph:

In case of an out of stock situation on the filters, a Honda spin on filter may be substituted. Part number for the filter is: "1 5410 mm9-013". The filter is slightly longer than the Triumph one and will require the use of a different wrench as the body is a different size (by about 1mm).

I'm making this note in my owners manual for future reference. Thought it would be good information to share about the ST.

=ike=

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Thanks Ike,
if you check panthersden's list of parts and part numbers you will find there are a bunch of aftedrmarket filters that do the job also.

I get the one that is about 20mm (3/4") longer which makes removal oh so much easier if it was put on too tight by some bozzo.

cheers,
Dave :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check the sticky I thought there was an aftermarket cross over listing?? I use the Wal Mart filters very cheap and very good filters someone cut a bunch apart and found them to be of excellent quality...can't remember the part# though

·
Registered
119 Posts
On 2007-03-01 17:31, tojohn wrote:
Ive been buying Fram filters. they are cheaper than Triumphs filters.
They are cheap because they are some of the most poorly made filters available. They spend all the profits on marketing, not making better filters.

Engine Oil filter Study

[ This message was edited by: dart330 on 2007-03-01 17:37 ]

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the comments about Fram filters here and on other sites are right on. There are so many horror stories out there that there must be something to it. I have used Perf-form filters exclusively for the last 11 years with great results. (9 yrs on a Duc 900SS, 11 yrs on a K75S, and the last 2 on the ST). They make MC filters only and use a blend of micro-glass (far superior) and conventional filter medias. Their filter for the 955 is p/n J503, $10.95,don't know about the 1050. Order direct over the net or by phone, I think a 2 filter minimum.A good price for a high quality part.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On my 955 S3 I was using the Bosch 3300 or 3323 which is a bit longer. I'd assume they can also be used on the 1050.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Walmart's Supertech filters are made by Champion.
ST6607 or ST7317(slightly longer)
I cut some used Frams apart a few years back after reading how they're built. What I read was true, but I never had a filter problem or failure.
PH6607 or PH7317(slightly longer)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I run the K&N filter wich has the handy "nut" on the bottom for removal.

Jim T.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Now I'm not sayin' a Fram oil filter caused my bike to blow-up, but the bike had 28000 miles with no problems, changed the oil & filter (shop only had Fram) and 500 miles later I'm pushing my beloved TT home.

I've never used Fram anything on anything I've owned before, and never will again.

I've regretted using that filter every day since then.Now I know that product won't even be used on my lawnmower, which I hate.

kubbie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Holy Cow! I have been an auto mechanic for 23 years. worked for three different companys doing the same thing, servicing trucks and cars.

I have been using Fram filters the whole time. Never have I had a problem w/Fram oil filters. I have worked on everything from bikes to ambulances and fire trucks, never in 23 years did I encounter a problem with fram filters.

I watched on PCN how they are made, and they make them the same way as everyone else's brands.

What kinda problems could they be causing?? :???: :???:

·
Registered
287 Posts
And, friends don't let friends run fram filters!

Jim T.

·
Registered
489 Posts
On 2007-03-03 11:49, tojohn wrote:
Holy Cow! I have been an auto mechanic for 23 years. worked for three different companys doing the same thing, servicing trucks and cars.

I have been using Fram filters the whole time. Never have I had a problem w/Fram oil filters. I have worked on everything from bikes to ambulances and fire trucks, never in 23 years did I encounter a problem with fram filters.

I watched on PCN how they are made, and they make them the same way as everyone else's brands.

What kinda problems could they be causing?? :???: :???:
Hi John - I owned a car repair shop in Philly for eight years, worked at several different dealerships before that and graduated from GM-ASEP in 1995. At the chevy, honda and saturn dealers I worked at we had several ( 4 total ) engine failures from Fram filters, all internal media/structure collapses. The only filters that failed more (6 total) were the cheapie white ones with the red lettering, brand "V-44" or similar. Those had baseplate stamping defects and blew out base sealing o-rings.

As all of the failures were well out of warranty so I don't know how Fram handled it. We didn't get involved other than to write a letter stating the cause of engine failure if the customer requested it.

I will never use a Fram filter on anything I own or fix for someone else. I used Purolator filters on everything in my shop and none ever failed. Can't tell you how well they (or any other oil filter I used for that matter) filtered , but they never failed. prior to working where I am now I used Purolator 14610 car units on my bike with satisfactory results. They are a little longer than stock for easier removal and I already had the cap-stye filter wrench to fit them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Purolator Pure One filters with either M1 Gold Cap or Rotella T in the blue bottle... I know LD riders with 100's of K's of miles using these with great results.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Does anyone know if the +05 sprints use the same oil filter as the 00-04's? I have a list of Purolator filter numbers for specific bikes but it only goes up to '03. I want to get the 3.5 inch one as it has more filter surface area and is rated as being very good at over half the price of the 'Triumph' one!

BTW anyone know who makes the 'Triumph' filters? I presume they are Mobil1 filters (also rated as v good but only slightly cheaper ) as the 'Triumph' oil is made by Mobil1.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts