Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months ago I dealt with the alternator shaft broken bolt syndrome. When re-installing the alternator, I was very careful not to pinch the O ring. Got to work this morning, oil all over the side stand and underneath. At first I thought it was the countershaft or output shaft seal, but following the oil trail, I tracked it down to the alternator. I'm bummed out that I have to do it again and I just needed to vent.
Thanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sucks, Zeb. I hate that bottom bolt and getting it around the coolant hose! I had a hard time getting mine in after having the alternator rebuilt and tore two myself. I found a light coating of grease both on the alternator (with o-ring installed) and on the housing was just the trick.

Scott

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate that bottom bolt and getting it around the coolant hose! I had a hard time getting mine in after having the alternator rebuilt and tore two myself.
Yeah, that bottom bolt is a PIA. That and the little rubber impeller bumper things in there. One or two always falls down. I used a little silicone the last time. But I did get her fixed today. Fortunately next door to my shop is a bike shop called Motoworks, they had the right size o-ring in stock. Guess I wasn't careful enough when I installed it the last time, the o-ring came out in two pieces. Hope to not have to go thru that again.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Probably obvious but the o-ring needs to be lubed with engine oil.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I used thick grease to hold the rubbers in place, and after chewing the new o-ring to bits I left it out and just used silicone. That was about 3 years ago and it's still holding out :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts