Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T H I S –

Matt Capri's (South Bay Triumph) Mirage project. Fuel injected 1150 cc Bonneville. (page 59, Jan 07 Motorcyclist Magazine) Retro Ducatis and Thruxtons… who cares? This is one B A D - A S S Triumph. Hmmm, maybe Motorcyclist is a great magazine after all.
The magazine pics show a finished motorcycle including a headlight and a proper seat.

[ This message was edited by: GeoDiablo on 2006-12-12 22:54 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, ya gotta have opinions on both sides so i'll take the devil's advocate. I hate that thing ! I'm not into TOTAL retro like some, but the bonnie is to replicate retro to a good degree w/o the oils leaks and all. I'd like more power, yes. But why turn a bonnie into something that no longer looks remotly retro? In other words, if you're gonna do that just get a friggin speed triple and be done with it. Just seems stupid to me to take a bike in one very unique and different category and turn it into a bike from another category, and to top it off it probably won't do anyhing better or even as good, and even if it did a simple mod to a ST and you'll beat it w/o even trying. And it's fugly to boot !Yeah, you couldn't gimmie that thing !

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I really like that bike. Someone posted a video link on this forum of that bike being test driven, not too long ago. It is still plenty retro for me. There's no way that fuel tank and engine, as well as the general look and shape of the bike, will ever be modern. It still has the vibe of an old bike. But modern suspension/wheels/brakes are always nice to have. I would prefer a cafe race version with clipons and a rear cowl, but that's just my personal taste.

My only minor complaint is the color scheme. I don't think that blue frame looks very good mixed with all the black. I would have made the frame black and made the tank and seat pan one solid color, something that would look good with the gold rims. Maybe red, yellow, or even black or silver. And no tank knee pads. But I am sure you will be able to get the color you want when he starts producing them (I would hope, for $29k).

·
Registered
454 Posts
It may run like a scalded cat, but it sure are ugly!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm with Dazco too. Modifications for modifications' sake, with no deference to design or aesthetics whatsoever, IMHO. See Webster's Collegiate Dictionary at 113 (2005 rev'd ed.) (defining "bastardization"). :assim:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like it.

Butt, that doesn't matter because it isn't my bike and it wasn't built for me. As long as the guy that built it, or had it built, is happy with it, it's good.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Ahhhhh come on, the guy's just having fun..... much like we have fun mod'ing out our bikes too.

I had a chance to ride and chat with Matt shortly after he got this thing running (or another much like it). It had a seat and different pipes, looked MUCH better than the image above.

You shoulda seen his playful grin when he fired it up, the fun he had riding with us on a 100 mile jaunt through earthquake country, and the enjoyment he got allowing a few of the guys to ride it.

Come on, some of you guys are soooo fanatical about your Bonnie, if you had the money you'ed likely do something just as crazy.

Nice guy to chat with, mellow and low key..... and he financed quite the Bonnie project!

Matt at Cambria '06

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-14 11:44 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Oh, i'm just expressing my thoughts. But yeah, if it floats your boat it's got value.Personally i don't like sportbikes, and to me that thing was turned into a sportbike that can't possibly have the performance of most of them either in handling or engine performance. Thats my point, but also it again is personal preference. If i did like sportbikes tho, i'd buy one rather than put all that time and money into something to make it into something it can never be to the fullest. I think a ST would beat that thing in all respects and cost less. But again, thats just MO and if the guy likes it more power to him. Thats what ultimatly counts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I like it. I wish I had the means to make a frame like like that. :clap:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, that frame and swingarm certainly didn't come from Spondon now did they? The Mirage is a cool idea, but the execution comes off as pretty agricultural, to me. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Looks...I've seen more pleasing to my eye.

Opinions...I'm sure glad the guys in the old days didn't modify their Triumphs any :-D :-D . Must have been "OK" by some standards for it to have been done "back when" but not "OK" today...doesn't make any sense to my brain. Do some think we have to be lemmings to own and "worship" Triumphs? :-D :-D

Thoughts or musings...wonder if Matt's machine would come anywhere close to running with one of Jojje's street bonnies? FI--if that is not FI, it is the wildest looking carb I've ever seen...the pics in the mag are a little better. Personally, I'm sure glad Mr. Capri and Mr. Jorgen push the envelope--that's how we used to get performance parts in the old days...even worked for autos too. Some day we may be able to buy a bolt on "Turbo Kit" for a bonnie...it may not say Jojje or Stabbarps Racing, but that's who I would give credit for the development.

Larry

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think many are missing the point...it's not "suppose" to be any one type of bike...not retro...not a cruiser...not a "Bonneville"...it is a down to earth HOT ROD...51 Mercury Customs are not suppose to be luxurious and daily driven...although I would...they are meant to dazzle the masses with their uniqueness...

Sure you could just run down to the dealer and BUY a Speed Triple, but so can everybody else...better yet, I'd rather build one...I prefer the old "Built not Bought" way of life...Anyhow...opinions are every bodies freedom...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Matt has a long history of building some pretty stompin' bikes. Well known for his turbo BMW kits.

His stough, though pricey, flat works.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The bike is a test bed for a coach-built bike to be offered in the future. (...as stated in the article) The bike is to be offered in two versions: carbureted and injected. The 1000cc carbureted version will put out about 105 hp and 75 ft/lbs of torque and weigh in at about 380 lbs, wet. At the price asked, I imagine some choices will be available to the buyer; such as frame/bodywork colors, etc. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm glad that our marque is getting the attention...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.