Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 Thruxton with stock wheels. I would like to upgrade the wheels and tires so the bike is lighter, has some better traction and handling through turns.

I've decided to go with 17" Alpinas for both wheels. This would be reducing the front wheel size from 18" to have better handling, and it only comes in 3.5. However now I'm having a tough time deciding between the 3.5 and 5.0 sized rear wheel.

I have always liked the look of a larger wheel, but does anyone have any experience or recommendation for either size?

Here's where I would be ordering: http://alpina-uk.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=75_117&product_id=87

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would go with the 5.0 rear if you use the 3.5 front. This may require the front sprocket to be moved outboard to maintain sprocket alignment and tire clearance. The larger tires will probably slow steering response. 120-70-17 front and 180-55-17 would be consistent with normal sport bike usage for these wheel sizes. Michelin Pilot road tires radials would be a good choice.-T1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice thruxtonone. After looking deeper I'll definitely be going with 5.0 rear and 3.5 front. Definitely makes the most sense. Now only 8 weeks after ordering till they arrive :p

·
Registered
727 Posts
3.5 front 4.25 rear would be possible better. 120/70 front and a 160/60 rear. If you like the twisties goes with sports tires or otherwise sport touring, something like michelin pilot road 4. A 5 inch rear and a 180 width tire will oversize the bike and the sweet handling will be heading down hill.

thats my 2 cents worth. Cheers, Simmo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts