Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy -- how to start with this one.
I got a supposed 1951 TR5 motor in a box, and it was complete from the cylinders down. I say supposed because it's a numbers job, and the number doesn't coordinate with any of the books. But, various bits and pieces on it indicate it should hail from 1951.
Anyway, I got an alloy 8-stud head (I think its marked AM2679), sat it on the cylinders, thought it fit, and went ahead and got everything fixed up.
Now, however, after putting the bottom end together, and placing the cylinders over the pistons, and moving on to the head, I've realized the head face doesn't come down and meet the face on top of the cylinders -- it actually sits on top of the cylinder liners.
There's about a 1mm gap. Now, the head gasket I have is only 1.2mm thick, and I'm thinking this can't be right?
Any bits of wisdom would be very much appreciated -- even the ones telling me I should have researched this more carefully before having any work done on the head!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the old pre unit stuff but I have a cylinder and head off on old 500. The cylinder has a spigot around each cylinder that sticks up about 1MM that I guess you are calling the liners. I don't think the cylinder has liners. I think they are all one piece. The cast Iron head has a recessed area that just fits over the spigot. The head gasket fits around the spigots. Without the recessed area in the head, I don't know how the alloy head will work. I don't know if you could have the spigots milled off to use the alloy head or not. Someone more experienced than I will have to guide you on that. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts