Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure all your Rocket Scientists are a unique breed, what drew you to this monster? Is it just that ridiculous engine?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
For me it was the price. There was a 2011 Touring on clearance. I had originally been flirting with a Thunderbird, but between the bike, bags and shield it would have wound up quit a bit more than was I paid for my R3T.

Yes the power IS intoxicating and nice neutral handling

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm on my second one. Great bike. Love the sheer power of the thing, great handling for it's size, head turner, comfortable to ride on long distance or just hooning around. Towed a trailer twice around Australia no problems, hardly knew it was there. My wife has a T/bird Storm, good bike but does not compare to the R3.
Had a couple of problems with the first bike, it was an early model, trans upgrade and head. Triumph came to the party and fixed it under warranty, and they were very good to deal with. The second R3 has been perfect.
I know there are a couple of ex R3 owners out there that have spat the dummy and bought some other bike, their choice, but I bet the bike they bought wont come close to the R3.
I have owned a lot of bikes over the last 40 yrs, most good bikes, but the R3 is the best by far.
Nungers

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was looking for a bike that was comparable with my Valkyrie ,man I found it in the rocket,it's been the finest bike I've ever owned. Big,fast,and smooth it never runs out of power.and yes the big ass motor had a lot to do with it.........sandman

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Easy

1. I like the look of the machine. (It's either you love or hate it type of thing.)
2. More power than you would ever need.
3. Torque. (You can use it to pull up stumps in the winter months for extra money.)
4. Comfortable and well balanced although it may look otherwise.
5. You won't find one parked on every corner. (On any given bike night it will
draw a larger crowd than any tricked out Harley.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
The triple header pipe. And the reasonable price.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's a really good question, size was a draw for me as well as rideability and Torque.
Now I own one it would be impossible to imagine not owning one, yes people from all over come to ask about it, but even if everyone else hated it , I would still own it.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
978 Posts
They have a 'presence'
On a local bike night a couple came up to me they were obviously quite well off, the woman said this bike should win! I said I agreed but as it was mostly stock all the accessories were Triumph's it was nothing particularly special compared to many of the well engineered 'specials' there on the night.
She refused to agree and they went off her saying that is the best bike I've ever seen.
I was chuffed its the best bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
690 Posts
WHY?
Rode harleys for 35 years,
took one test ride and changed brand loyalty.
Liked mine so much I bought the wife one.
can't have her on a harley,
I'd have to ride in third all the time.
Now she can keep up.;)
Mine started life out as a '07 standard.
The Triclops is far from stock now.
Just got her back yesterday
with her new exhaust system.
2.5" open straight pipes welded to a Jardine header.
Still don't have the heat shields made yet,
but I had to ride and hear that triple Triumph rumble.
here's a pic or two of the pipes without shields.

Also got her new springer sittin' in the front room.

so what made me pick a Triumph Rocket III?
the uniqueness of the motor, it's torque, HP,
and the blank slate Triumph gave us to go our own way.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd owned a lot of bikes over the last 45 years, but as I've aged, I've been less and less comfortable on most. I started to look at Valkyries, and then I saw the R3T. It was honestly love at first sight. I love the look of the R3T, and the call of that longitudinal triple 2.3 liter engine was just too much to resist.

I don't think most folks are up to either the weight, or the torque. That's why the club is so small. This is probably a draw for me too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd owned a lot of bikes over the last 45 years, but as I've aged, I've been less and less comfortable on most. I started to look at Valkyries, and then I saw the R3T. It was honestly love at first sight. I love the look of the R3T, and the call of that longitudinal triple 2.3 liter engine was just too much to resist.

I don't think most folks are up to either the weight, or the torque. That's why the club is so small. This is probably a draw for me too.
Yeah, how 'bout that weight? Is it hard to handle? The biggest bike I think I've ever ridden was only 550lbs or so...

·
Registered
690 Posts
only 50 pounds heavier than a harley.
No big deal when she's moving.
sit on one, stand her up off the kickstand,
with your feet planted firmly on the ground,
rock her side to side and "feel" how good she's balanced.
When she's moving, the weight disappears anyway.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I ride mine with one leg, it's usually a confidence thing.
"it's too big/heavy" as has been said before the weight disappears when you are riding. Slow maneuvering just needs care.
The beauty of the engine is that at tickover it'll do slow stuff just fine you just need to be good with the clutch.
It's a keeper:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The reason i chose a Rocket Roadster was comfort,i was riding an 08 Sprint,but it was a little tight on long trips,i am 6-4 and 215lbs.I am not a cruiser guy,but the Roadster felt more like a big standard than a cruiser,it fits me perfectly,i didnt want floor boards or forward controls.
I never even test rode one,i just knew if it fit the triple would be smooth,and boy is it.
Now after many miles i cant imagine not having one.The one thing that has taken a little getting used to is the attention it gets,everywhere all the time,all age groups everyone,there is no blending in with the crowd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts