Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new 2009 Bonnie! 4300 kms on the clock and she's a new bike. Again. I say again because after after I did the easy AI removal she truly feels like a new bike. Completely different from before...

/gushing off/

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Told ya ;-)

Thinking the same thing just today negotiating a tricky couple of low speed first gear tight turns onto steep up-hills. So glad the throttle response is smoothed out without the choppy on-off jerkiness it has with the AI.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Strange! I have left my AI intact and it runs like a dream,

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Not sure how removing the AI increases the performance....

It's just burning gas that has already been combusted.

I'm glad you're enjoying your bike though.
Nothing to do with performance. It just eliminates ~ 85% of the throttle snatch, so no jerking when you shut the throttle and then roll it back on. Still no Dellorto, but a LOT nicer coming out of a turn! :)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Not sure how removing the AI increases the performance....

It's just burning gas that has already been combusted.

I'm glad you're enjoying your bike though.
Apparently on the EFI bikes, the valve & solenoid that sends the gas back into the exhaust operates on and off each time the throttle opens or closes. That slight mechanical clunkiness is the snatch or jerk you notice each time you open or close the throttle so you feel it in slow speed riding where you can be on off the throttle a lot.

Music is lucky that his Bonnie doesn't show this trait--maybe the AI mechanics on his operate more smoothly. Or he's a smoother throttle operator ;-) Myself, I thought the T100 was smooth as can be when I first got it, partly because I was accustomed to old junky throttles on old bikes.

But I started to notice the jerkiness of the throttle--especially in my hilly riding with switchbacks and u-turns on steep hills where slow speed smoothness is a premium. Noticeably smoother without the AI.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Perhaps when I had a remap for my TORs any snatch was illiminated? although I never noticed it before? I know I had Honda CB1300 in 2003 which was very snatchy but when I had the same bike new in 2009 it was perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You're probably right, and there is likely some variation between bikes on how AI affects the throttle feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts