Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last, my farkling is done (for now)

From the basic no-frills 1999 Sprint ST I bought last year about this time, it now has:

• TOR stainless exhaust with TOR tune
  • 2008 high handlebars retrofitted
  • 2002 heated grips retrofitted
  • OEM panniers and mounting hardware installed (and painted)
  • OEM luggage rack and top box (gloss black, doesn't look bad)
  • OEM Gel seat
  • Zumo 550 and XM antenna, hardwired with a Telferizer mount
  • Throttlemeisters
  • Powerbronze bubble screen (not super happy with this, looks ok but don't like the functionality, might spring for a MRA Vario)
  • Gerbing's dual heat controller, power lead hardwired and controller velcro mounted on outside of tank bag for easy control and clean wire management between bag and pad when riding, to go with heated liner and gloves
  • Powered OEM Triumph strap-on bag with both Powerlet and Cig lighter sockets, fused and relayed to ignition, with external coaxial quick connections. (I've also got a small AC inverter so I can charge my netbook inside the bag, along with the DC cell phone and camera chargers).
  • Maintenance-wise, it has adjusted valves, synched throttle bodies, new front and rear bearings, new steering bearings, fresh fork oil, new plugs, new filters, fresh motor oil, new DID chain, and half-worn Pilot Powers

I've also got a fresh supply of new or newish camping gear and drybags.

Come April 10th, I'm taking just under a month off (bonus time off from a project that finished in December, have to take it by mid-April or lose it).

My plan is to head south, and my only fixed destination is San Diego for a few days to hang out with some old friends. Beyond that, I have no firm plans, I just need to be back in Vancouver on May 8th. Plan on camping when practical, motels when not.

So, any suggestions?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Croak

There are some of the best roads I've ever ridden in Northern California. Get a copy of Destination Highways - North Cal and ride all you can...

or subscribe to:

http://www.pashnit.com/ It's a subscription site now, but has some great road reports.

We will be making our 4th trip to North Cal during the last week of May, with a bunch of buddies. Hope your trip goes well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I lied a bit...farkling wasn't done.

Bit the bullet and bought a MRA Vario Touring. Pricey, but a NICE NICE screen, wish I'd went that route to start with, instead of mucking around with a double bubble.

While I was ordering the Vario, I also got a Stebel Nautilus horn from Twisted Throttle...heh, I like it, a lot. My neighbors, not so much. :) Super-easy install with the plug and play wiring kit...$30 for about $2 worth of wire and connectors, but painless.

Bought a lightly used (4k miles) stock shock off of Ebay for a song, my 45k mile original was getting pretty tired. Rides like a new bike again. I'll probably get some Racetech emulators for the front when I get back, and send the old rear off for a custom rebuild, but the fresher OEM rear and 10w fork oil is a decent (and cheap) quick fix, me and my load are pushing 300 pounds.

Last but not least, I'm putting on a fresh set of Pilot Road 2's on Tuesday, my Powers were getting squared off from all the commuting. Not unhappy with the Powers, got over 8k out of them and there's still tread left, but they weren't happy being used as a commuter tire for the last six months.

T-minus 5 days and counting before I hit the road, it's going to be a long 4 days at work watching the clock. :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just as pmackie said:This is the best site on the web for west coast motorcycle roads.http://pashnit.com/forum/

One way or another, you have to ride CA. Rt.#36. :D
Either pick up CA. Rt. #3 in Yreka to #36(last fuel to the coast is in Hayfork) or get on #36 in Red Bluff. I have NEVER found a good place to stay in Red Bluff!!! Choose Redding if lodging necessary.
From the end of #36, take #101 South to Leggett, pick up US. #1 and ride the coast to #20 or #126 and then back in-land to make up some time.
SoCal has some great roads also. When you start route planing, check back.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bruce C, I'm intrigued with Route #36. I'm taking the long way to Vegas. Stopping in Bend Oregon. This really is not too much off our intended route, what is the ride like?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as pmackie said:This is the best site on the web for west coast motorcycle roads.http://pashnit.com/forum/

One way or another, you have to ride CA. Rt.#36. :D
Either pick up CA. Rt. #3 in Yreka to #36(last fuel to the coast is in Hayfork) or get on #36 in Red Bluff. I have NEVER found a good place to stay in Red Bluff!!! Choose Redding if lodging necessary.
From the end of #36, take #101 South to Leggett, pick up US. #1 and ride the coast to #20 or #126 and then back in-land to make up some time.
SoCal has some great roads also. When you start route planing, check back.:)
I'm route planning again now :) (well, actually, I'm going riding in a few minutes, but I'm route planning when I get back).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Croak-I'll be glad to show you some of the best roads of the Central Valley if you're through here on your way to SoCal, as long as it's before the 21st. I'm going out of town for two weeks to work at Laughlin and then Thunderbeach in Panama City in Fl. We have a RAT ride scheduled on the 18th, so that would be a great ride also. Either way have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Bruce C, I'm intrigued with Route #36. I'm taking the long way to Vegas. Stopping in Bend Oregon. This really is not too much off our intended route, what is the ride like?
First let me say that some of the curves on Rt.#36 are being straightened. But it is still a great road. In fact just outside Red Bluff on #36 is the familiar CalTrans route sign showing the symbol for a twisty road and the mileage sign underneath states "next 126mi."!!! And they ain't kidding!:D

The very best time(in my opinion) to ride rt. #36 is very early(dawn) on a Sunday morning. That way you miss most of the logging trucks and RVs.

There is also fabulous riding in the east side of I-5, not as twisty, but very scenic, all the way to Reno.

Were you figuring on coming down through Klamath Falls area and into CA.? Because as an alternate, you can go to Grants Pass and South on#199, when you get to O'Brien pick up the road (number??) to Takima and Happy Camp, CA.(only gas is regular, in a card lock station) then #96/#299 west to #101 South.
There is VERY GOOD lodging in and around Fortuna, Ca. and you can do #36 from west to east!

Hey NotSoFast, you will be in Laughlin just in time for the Laughlin River Run( 4/23-4/25)!! Did you plan this???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trip Starting In Hanna, Ab, stopping in Cranbrook, BC, Spokane, Stopping in Bend for 2 nights. Taking the 20 and 242 over to Eugene, CA. Following 126 to 101 south. Hooking up to #1 around Leggett and exiting off to 20 and over toward Yuba City. Taking the 65 south and hooking up with 49 south to 120 and into Yosemite. Taking 120 to #6 and then getting on 95 to Vegas. That's the one of many plans we were looking at. It will change no doubt once we get in or by riders directing me to better route. Looking for less traffic good scenery and safe roads. Interstates are fine if you're in a hurry but we're not so we'll try to avoid as many as we can.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Man...

If I had a paycheck, a month, and a bike, I would make a point of riding The Three Sisters and The Dragon after taking the PCH to San Diego.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Trip Starting In Hanna, Ab, stopping in Cranbrook, BC, Spokane, Stopping in Bend for 2 nights. Taking the 20 and 242 over to Eugene, CA. Following 126 to 101 south. Hooking up to #1 around Leggett and exiting off to 20 and over toward Yuba City. Taking the 65 south and hooking up with 49 south to 120 and into Yosemite. Taking 120 to #6 and then getting on 95 to Vegas. That's the one of many plans we were looking at. It will change no doubt once we get in or by riders directing me to better route. Looking for less traffic good scenery and safe roads. Interstates are fine if you're in a hurry but we're not so we'll try to avoid as many as we can.
Just a little bit of advice. #126 from Eugene to Florence sucks. If you drop down 20mi. or so on I-5, take #38 from Curtin to Reedsport, it is a nicer road(more country). And for a blanket statement throughout the state of Oregon!! "WATCH YOUR SPEED"!!!!!
Oh yes, Rt. #1 from Leggett to the coast is the wildest 11 miles you have ever run, anywhere!!:D Rt. #20 is good from Fort Bragg to Willetts. When the road flattens out around Williams it can be hot as hell!

Rt#20 is a little slow around Clear Lake (to be expected RV and vacation traffic).

Yosemite is fantastic. I didn't get the time of year you are coming down, so just make sure Rt. #120 is open over the pass(often it's closed 'til sometime in June).

Here is a couple of pictures from Rt.#36 & 101.

Dumb me!! I thought the captions would print. Anyway--- left to right
1) Mt. Shasta taken from I-5
2) Rt.#101, No. of Fortuna
3) Western end of Rt.#36, note: no centerline on roadway!!
4) Six Rivers NF. , western Rt.#36

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey NotSoFast, you will be in Laughlin just in time for the Laughlin River Run( 4/23-4/25)!! Did you plan this???
Bruce C- I did, because I work for Kuryakyn. I will be there selling parts. If you are there, come by and say hi!

Charlie

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
30 hours until I'm on the road. Feels like Christmas Eve. :)

Made a crappy little blog to chronicle the trip, www.croakriding.net and made some major route changes because of cold, wet weather due on the coast for the next several days.

Basically heading east through Washington to Idaho, then down through Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Stopping at Grand Coulee Damn, Bonneville Salt Flats, Bryce Canyon, Moab, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Death Valley, among other places.

Looks like I'm stopping for tires at Cyclegear in Spokane, local deal fell through. Gonna give a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts a test, the price is too good to pass up and they've been getting very good reviews.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Croak if you have time, hit the Valley of Fire, it's pretty close to Bryce Canyon. Really nice. Don't take it if you're in a hurry though, lot lots of park wardens and slow posted speeds. All those places you're going to are like my old stomping grounds when I was touring in a band. Nice areas. Stop at Wendover (Salt flats) for a gamble and food, Check out the airport. I beleive the little big boy flew out of there in WWII to drop THE bomb in Japan. Lots of history in the area. They also had the plane from the movie Con Air sitting there. Not sure if it's still there or not. Have fun that's a nice ride.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Dinkus, it's those little bits of Americana that I really dig on a trip, besides the ride.

I'm outta here in 6 hours, time for bed. I'll be stopping by the forum from time to time, and plan on updating my blog on a regular basis from the road.

Have a great Easter everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts