Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many Speed Twins with the machined headlight bezel installed and since my moto is the shiny black, I thought it would look great and really pick up the the silver accents on the bike. I purchased the bezel from Triumph earlier in the month and installed it today. If any of you are thinking of buying the this part, please be aware it is functionally flawed. The weep hole is drilled into the top of the bezel and makes this beautiful accessory look like hell. The hole on the original bezel is at the bottom where if should be. Now, with new bezel, what happens when it rains? Maybe I should buy some goldfish!
Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Installing the bezel upside down should be hard to do because of the locations of the mounting tabs.

I notice that my original T120 headlight shell has a drain hole at the bottom, right up next to the bezel. The original chromed bezel itself has no drain hole.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offense, but are you sure you didn't install it upside down?
Ha, ha, none taken because that was my original thought but no...there is only way way to install due to the mounting arms. And the many pics of others' Twins on the net confirm. And if I can go the conspiracy route, I think it's weird that Triumph has had an "Image Coming Soon" note on their site fr a bezel that has been produced since 2019.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I also got scammed by triumph on this. I personally find it insulting that they charge you full price for a flawed product. And don’t even admit to the flaw, or provide you the proper as designed unit as a replacement. You bought it sucker, appears to be the attitude.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It wouldn’t be there without a reason, perhaps there was a headlamp grill that used that hole for mounting purposes.

Reactions: jannerman

·
Registered
6 Posts
It wouldn’t be there without a reason, perhaps there was a headlamp grill that used that hole for mounting purposes.
Nope. Its clearly upside down. Tabs on the rim are orientation specific. So its impossible to mount upside down. Believe me, I tried. The silver accent lines go all the way around the rim, except at what is supposed to be the bottom drain hole as it gets in the way. Which is now, at the top. And Triumph don't publish a picture of it on their website. Just a "Coming Soon" label. So they know.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think @Kinjane has hit the nail on the head, are the side holes threaded? It looks like it was designed to accept the this style of grille (that Triumph doesn't seem to sell separately!!!!)
Font Bicycle part Rim Circle Auto part

^ This is for a Street Scrambler (and includes a pressed bezel) but I think it would also fit a Speed Twin

Yes, the water would get in through those three holes in yours but it also looks like it should also be able to exit via the scooped out bit at the bottom?
Body jewelry Jewellery Rim Bicycle part Bangle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kinjane gets the prize! Triumph customer service reached out finally (after dealer got involved) and explained just that! It is indeed the mounting hole for the grill. Still should have been presented that way in the description and still looks awful up close 😖

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think @Kinjane has hit the nail on the head, are the side holes threaded? It looks like it was designed to accept the this style of grille (that Triumph doesn't seem to sell separately!!!!)
View attachment 787841
^ This is for a Street Scrambler (and includes a pressed bezel) but I think it would also fit a Speed Twin

Yes, the water would get in through those three holes in yours but it also looks like it should also be able to exit via the scooped out bit at the bottom?
View attachment 787843
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kinjane gets the prize! Triumph customer service reached out finally (after dealer got involved) and explained just that! It is indeed the mounting hole for the grill. Still should have been presented that way in the description and still looks awful up close 😖
Well. I stand corrected. And I agree, it looks like crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts