Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, wonder if anybody can help... My 2008 Sprint's alarm keeps going off... approx every 40 minutes - am sure it's something to do with the sub 0 degree temperature outside. I live in a semi-detached and the bike lives down the side of the house (under a cover)... Thing is it's now 10.30pm, and the neighbours must be cursing me. My partner has just told me it went off about 2.00am last night and again at 4.00am, plus a few times today! I've tried disabling it but it still goes off. Am not going to have time to get it to the dealers before the weekend. Can anyone help? Is there a press-combination etc that will totally deactivate it? Bloody alarms! Every bike I've ever owned, the alarms always screw up...

Thanks in advance

Russ

P.S. I did a 100 mile trip on it on Monday so can't believe the battery is flat etc, plus I started it up about 4 hours ago and there was no problem etc

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have the alarm on my bike, but I imagine that there is a dedicated fuse for it. Couldn't you just pull the fuse?

·
Registered
929 Posts
if you're really desperate call my Triumph Shop here in Canada they are open. you could talk to a mechanic

ask for Paul or Nicola

604-253-1117

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check two things, the battery connection and how much charge there is left in the battery. My alarm gives a low battery indicator blast so in this cold weather I really need to keep the battery tender on it. If the battery goes very weak, alarm goes off

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sofalofa
I had a similar problem with my OEM datatool S4 that was fitted to my 06 1050 new, pre-deliver, by my dealer in Doncaster (whom you probably know of). slowly over a period of months the problem got worse, from the odd occation, escalating up to 2-3 time a day. when finally I`m out on a rideout and it packed in altogether causing the alarm to re-set, go off, auto re-set over and over, it also blew the fuse in the glovebox. the only saving grace was that it went into "get me home mode". I could ride it, but the ignition & kill switch where bypassed and the lights where on, resulting in me having to stall the bike to kill the engine. but with the alrm having its own internal battery, even with the bikes battery disconnected. the alarm will work for 30min - 1hr+ under its own power.
Datatool give a 2yr warranty on their alarms, however mine was fitted 2yrs, 2 months before it was finally taken back to the dealers, who removed it. Even though the alarm was out of warranty, the dealer managed to get datatool to supply a replacement for free, which they fitted for free. :D

Depending on who fitted the alarm, and when. I`d advise you to contact the dealer and get them to resolve the problem. I`m reliably advised be my contact at the dealer, that they`ve had multiple problems, & warranty claims with the OEM alarm. seems its the curcuit board that has the weakness

I`ve mentioned this on a similar thread before, when the alarm is fitted new, they removed a block plug (shorting block) from the wiring harness, this is where the OEM alarm is connected. make sure when the alarm is 1st fitted, get the fitter to give you the shorting block save this in the glove box, this will give you the option if your in the back of nowhere, and the alarm goes wrong, to pull the alarm plug from the bike and replace the original shorting block putting the wiring back in "factory" state thus enabling you to get home. you will however need to lift the tank to do this

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses guys. Cheers for the link Dave, just looked through the online manual and found:

Entering ‘Winter’ mode
From the disarmed state, press both buttons on the
transmitter for 10 seconds with the ignition ON
until you hear a beep, after the ignition is switched
OFF the alarm unit will go into winter sleep mode.
The unit will now be completely shut down leaving
the machine and current usage below 250μA.

Will try it tonight when i get in...

Also Peirre, my bike came from Team Roberts in Doncaster (great guys)... Just spoke to Phil who has advised:

As soon as you turn ignition off, press grey button and it will beep twice, then immediately press black tutton and it will beep 3 times, that should deactivate it.

We shall see!

Thanks again for your resposnses... Russ

·
Registered
896 Posts
Phil who has advised:

As soon as you turn ignition off, press grey button and it will beep twice, then immediately press black button and it will beep 3 times, that should deactivate it.
That sounds like your putting it into ferry mode.

IF you got the bike from TR, next time your down there ask paul on the parts desk if they got a spare shorting block lying around. the 1st alarm install I had they didn`t give me mine, however I made sure they did give me 1 when they replaced the alarm

however the alarm fault I described earlier is well know to TR, as they`ve had bikes numbering double figures coming in. As the fault degrades over a period of time.

However I have never had to use winter/sleep modes, because as soon as I put the bike in the garage, I plug it into the battery tender

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Alarms and the balnking plug

Had mine blow up few weeks back (see separate thread).

Just as an aside you can turn the engine off if the key and kill-switch are shorted out of the ignition circuit: by putting the side stand down, pulling clutch in and kicking into gear - that will cut power and turn the engine off without.

Though it is quite novel to be standing by the side of the bike, engine running, alarm going off and the kill switch thrown and the key in your hand..:eek:

Have you checked the micro switch under the seat? It bolts on my '06 to the petrol tank bolt and is a very flimsy. Worth checking the wiring connection to the loom too - under the tank to the front and right hand side. Is it nice and protected with jelly, or exposed to the elements and maybe water vapour freezing/icing?

It's just a 5 min job to take the tank off - but do note which connector the wiring plug goes back on to as there are two possible ones. Mine was out f warranty so was more cavalier about stripping it all out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Jeff, did you get the blanking plug you where looking for?
as I have 1 here

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Warranty Warranty and Warranty - take it back ! You paid top dollar for the Bike and system. You have a right to. I had hell with my Acumen alarm in late 2005 , but they sorted it, and it's great now. Ironic that Datatool have now had a duff batch as well recently. It's very tempting to get stuck in yourself to try and speed things up, and avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well tonight alarm suddenly activated in the garage. Bikes not been out since December 26th.
Reset with the fob and then went through arm and disarm, service mode etc.
All appeared OK. Give it a few shakes to test the movement sensor, I had noticed that it has seemed less sensitive than when I bought the bike. Then nothing! Alarm light not on. Bike wont start. Fuse OK.
So it bike to bits and will have to sort a new unit tomorrow and an air filter. Bike is nearly 3 years old and out of warranty. Only 7500 miles though.
Think this is going to be costly.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Fullchat, my 1st alarm started off with symtoms like that, going off for no reason occationally, then over a period of months it slowly degraded and packed up. Get onto the dealer asap and put the issue in their hands.

Have you got the original shorting plug should you need to pull the alarm?
if you haven`t let me know, I got a spare, and I`ll send it over as I`m probably not that far from you anyhow

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks POB, I have the connector to isolate the alarm. Rang the dealer today which is about 35 miles away and a day off work. "Bring it in and we will have a look." "Yes its faulty we will have to get one from Datatool, can you book it back in?" :-(((
I've had a look and its knackered + the bike is in bits, seat tank and airfilter housing. Doing the Spike treatment tonight to see if that does anything. Have pulled all the internal connectors, checked and refitted.
Will ring Datatool on Monday. Hoping for a unit swap even if I have to pay a reasonable amount just for the unit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well e-mailed Datatool this morning re my problem and had a phone call back within 15 minutes. Can't grumble with that!
They gave me some advice by identifying the two live feeds and neutral in the alarm unit to discount the possibility of it being a feed problem.
A new circuit board is to be £140 via a dealer which comes with one remote.

·
Registered
896 Posts
if the bike/alarm is around 2-3 years old I`d still be tempted to argue the case with the dealer and push for a free warranty replacement, especially if the dealer fitted the alarm.
times are hard atm, the dealers need the business, and goodwill gestures by them will reep rewards in the future

·
Registered
193 Posts
See where you are coming from POB. The bike was bought 6 months old from a non Triumph dealer. I get the bike serviced at a dealer who is also not the supplying dealer so I have no real bargaining angle other than goodwill for a customer. Unless they are able to bargain with Datatool.
I have noticed on the Datatool site that they are now giving a 3 year warranty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts