Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a motorcycle tour planned for next May in Europe. I do not want to pack my helmet in checked baggage, but am concerned that it won't fit in the overhead bin. It is a Schuberth C3, Xl, and is approximately 10.5 inches at at its narrowest point.

So, has some one traveled recently with an XL sized helmet as carry on baggage without issue? Please share your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
If it helps, I flew from Southampton to Manchester and was allowed to keep my helmet with me. Put it on the floor between my legs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Demonic - what airline? I am traveling form the US, most likley via British Airways.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I flew from Los Angeles to Las Vegas a couple of months ago and my Seven Zero Seven helmet fit in the overhead and the plane I flew on was pretty old. We had to pedal to keep the propellers going...

On a newer bigger plane, you shouldn't have any problems. Either overhead or under the seat. The various airlines have sizes posted on their websites for the overhead etc dimensions. I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Ah, I can't remember. One of the budget ones. But that was a short-haul flight, it might be different for long-haul.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I will be doing long-haul to Londo most likely, and then short-haul cattle car class to Munich. So if you were successful on short-haul, I think I might be OK.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have flown with my helmet a time or two. On larger jets - not the regional ones - the helmet in a soft helmet bag fit under the seat in front of me.

You always have the option of wearing it during the flight. Sure you will get a lot of stares, but just keep a knowing smile on your face and if asked just reply, "Let's see who is laughing when we crash!"

·
Banned
322 Posts
You always have the option of wearing it during the flight. Sure you will get a lot of stares, but just keep a knowing smile on your face and if asked just reply, "Let's see who is laughing when we crash!"
:laughhardNever though of trying that. Damn funny, my luck I'd get tossed of the airplane.:D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
On longhaul flights I put my Arai in its soft cloth bag and then put it sideways in my (rather cheap & flimsy) suitcase and make sure it's well padded with clothes all round. I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you are flying British Airways just paint the helmet white and get a white jumpsuit. Everyone will think you are the Stig from Top Gear. Bonus points because you don't have to talk to anyone. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hm..I could just wear it and the screaming hi-viz yellow Aerostitch suit and go as 'Hi-Viz Stig'... :D

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Depending on what else you're taking, I've carried a helmet as carry on but if you've got checked luggage anyway it could be less hassle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just went to Texas and back to California on Southwest and no problem . in a duffle bag with other stuff for padding.
Also same setup on British Airways from US to South Africa

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was recently to Nevada and back on Air Canada and United with my helmet as carry-on the whole way. On larger aircraft, it fits in the overhead. Smaller aircraft (regional jets and props) it has to go under the seat. No way would I put it in checked baggage.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
One tip I was told: if you take it in a helmet bag, it will count as carry-on, but if you take it out of the bag, it counts as a hat. So if the airline restricts you to ONE item of carry-on, take it out of its bag. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts