Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used an Airhawk cushion on their America LT. I have a 2015 and would like to try the Airhawk for perineum relief. Specifically I was wondering about the fit. The Airhawk site says to use the medium cushion, but my seat measurement indicates a Large. Was hoping someone else has tried this and could give an opinion on the fit.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Not per se. I have an Airhawk that I used on my previous bike, a Honda Shadow. Haven't needed it on my Speedmaster. My experience is that if you are having trouble with your seat, the Airhawk can really help. Make sure not to overinflate it. My beefs with the Airhawk are: 1) PITA to install/uninstall; 2) raises you up a bit, changing the geometry of your riding position; and 3) decreases the connection between you and the bike: The Airhawk is not for canyon carving!
I agree with these beefs. I never bonded with the one I tried years ago and returned it. It's better to spend the money and get a good seat.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can appreciate your zeal for a new seat, but the seat in general is not my problem, and I like the America's seat. I would have the same issue with my seat or any seat, I need perineum relief down the middle. Thank you for the suggestion.

I contacted customer support at Airhawk to determine the best cushion for the America, and after discussion we decided on the new R model in large, since the shape of the R model would confirm to the tank better. As far as the size difference between large and medium it's only 1/2 an inch, which is why I'm going with the large.

I'll return with my thoughts on the cushion after use, which may be a while since we're buried in Ice and snow at present.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you JJ. I'm hoping it will get me more saddle time this year.

Thats a nice stratoliner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote "My beefs with the Airhawk are: 1) PITA to install/uninstall; 2) raises you up a bit, changing the geometry of your riding position; and 3) decreases the connection between you and the bike: The Airhawk is not for canyon carving!"

I tend to disagree.
1. I remove the seat , clip on the airhawk and replace the seat. Takes 1 minute at most. 2018 SM. In fact, I keep it in my saddlebag in case I want to go that extra mile.

2. As the instructions say.... if you need to adjust you mirrors its over inflated
3. If inflated correctly , i have not had any trouble punting through the twisties.

The biggest mistake is overinflating. It should barely lift you off the seat. I let it down until i can feel the seat and then just blow it up slightly.
I love my airhawk. Can sit on my bike all day !!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
petejohno has it nailed. The magic of the Airhawk is spreading the 'hot spots' of sitting to an even pressure over the entire contact area.

My original Airhawk finally wouldn't repair after a decade plus of my 200lb butt. I replaced it with an Airhawk Dual Sport type on the Tiger800.

But the Airhawk doesn't solve the sweat problem; for me, that is solved with a cut-to-fit sheepskin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I overinflated my airhawk when I first put it on.
It wasn't comfortable,I was wiggling around and disconnected from the bike.
I called them. I was going to return it. They asked "did you read the instructions" ? I answered,no.
My bad.
It's a great product.

JJ

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine's on order. Minimal inflation, got it! Im anxious to get it on and get back in the saddle. Now if we can just do something about the negative temps, snow and ice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am using an airhawk on my 2015 TEX along with a "saddleman" seat (both of which I bought used) and it is the perfect combination for me. The saddleman has the relief in the center for your stuff and the airhawk spreads out the pressure points for your hip bones. Properly inflated gives me a comfortable 3 to 500 mile day. Gotta "spearmint" a little to find the best for you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am using an airhawk on my 2015 TEX along with a "saddleman" seat (both of which I bought used) and it is the perfect combination for me. The saddleman has the relief in the center for your stuff and the airhawk spreads out the pressure points for your hip bones. Properly inflated gives me a comfortable 3 to 500 mile day. Gotta "spearmint" a little to find the best for you.
Great. Mine came today. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Airhawks rock!

My ride is an America and I think the stock seat on the LT is about the same as the stock seat on mine. I've used airhawk for about 10 years and they work great. I got two back in 08, and one - last year - developed a leak; up until then no problems with either one. They enabled me to ride for hours in relative comfort. When and if my spare airhawk dies, I'll probably get another.They're great!

·
Registered
72 Posts
repair an airhawk?

Have you tried it JJ? Hope you had better luck than I did. They have repair kits for sale on Amazon and they work I suppose - if you can locate the leak. I think the valve died on mine and the patches won't help with that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I never had to fix mine. I think mine came with a patch kit. The cheap one can't be fixed. It's made out of different material.

JJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts