Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was looking at the triumph twinpower ttp airbox mod, however when stripping the bike i noticed my airbox trumpet is at the top? i have straight through pipes and is a carb model it looks like the previous owner has tinkered with a lot of the bike (pipe bars think seat lol) therefore am i better off leaving well alone as dont know what jetting is in carb (beyond my capabilities to check) or will taking the snorkel of the top of the airbox only effect sound ? chears in advance
also i have taken the triangular rear hangers off and painted the chain guard (much better lol)
pics show bike and airbox location

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
was looking at the triumph twinpower ttp airbox mod, however when stripping the bike i noticed my airbox trumpet is at the top? i have straight through pipes and is a carb model it looks like the previous owner has tinkered with a lot of the bike (pipe bars think seat lol) therefore am i better off leaving well alone as dont know what jetting is in carb (beyond my capabilities to check) or will taking the snorkel of the top of the airbox only effect sound ? c
Most of the TTP info is based on the Bonneville/Truxton side of the family. Theory applies as the cruiser side of the family does share many bits but not always in the same place. Great place for info and performance items.
Our air box is not assembled the same way(as the Bonneville..) and getting to the internal baffle wall is more challenging. Have you pulled the air filter out to see if the baffle wall is still in tact or if it has been molested? You will need to shine a flashlight in towards the front and maybe even feel around inside to verify that baffle wall(not a removable plate in my air box). Pulling the snorkel will add a smidge more air flow in and bit more sound out. Depending on mods done and the current jetting as to how much it would impact the a/f ratio.
Sounds like you have the Triumph Off Road (TOR) mufflers in place. Jet values do increase when the very restrictive stock mufflers are changed. Hopefully the PO rejetted for that change.

edit: I see the front turn signals are moved down to the forks, I have the same. Looks like they are matching the angle of the forks, may want to rotate them down and straight forward like the headlight to maximize their visibility.

Reactions: Keith2008carb

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thats a nice America you have there.

I would be very cautious and not recommend you begin to make changes to the air and fueling at all.
Its a very fine balance. This site is full of tales of woe on that regard.
If you do a quick search you will begin to understand.
The gains are minimal overall and not worth the expense or the grief.

I always liked that tank red/black combination, sweet looking ride.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
and is a carb model it looks like the previous owner has tinkered with a lot of the bike (pipe bars think seat lol) therefore am i better off leaving well alone as dont know what jetting is in carb (beyond my capabilities to check)
Looking at the picture I can't tell for sure, is that a carb or EFI model? I thought the carb to EFI transition happened in 08 for most of Europe and happened here in 09. Does the fuel tank have the actual knee dents or is it just the pinstripe swoop of the more bulbous tank of the EFI's?
Easiest way to tell carb or EFI is if there is a petcock on the fuel tank since they used faux (like the air filter covers) carb's to conceal the fuel injectors.
Also as the headers are wrapped it isn't clear if the O2 sensor bungs are present.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Even the carb 2008's have the bigger tank.
OP does state carb model in his post.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Even the carb 2008's have the bigger tank.
OK, didn't know that.

edit: Looking back to the pic in the new owner thread it does look like a carb tank.
Sorry for derailing the discussion.

·
Vendor
2,399 Posts
was looking at the triumph twinpower ttp airbox mod, however when stripping the bike i noticed my airbox trumpet is at the top? i have straight through pipes and is a carb model it looks like the previous owner has tinkered with a lot of the bike (pipe bars think seat lol) therefore am i better off leaving well alone as dont know what jetting is in carb (beyond my capabilities to check) or will taking the snorkel of the top of the airbox only effect sound ? chears in advance
We have a Stage 1 Torque Induction Kit for the America/Speedmaster as well as the Bonnie/Thrux/Scrambler.

If you remove the Snorkel, it will effect the sound as well as the amount of air flowing through the engine and will lean the fuel mixture without re-jetting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found out i have one of these on the bike

https://www.amazon.com/ProCom-Performance-Speedmaster-Bonneville-Scrambler/dp/B004QJSO9A

No idea what setting its on or how to find out, previous owner looks as though he has tinkered with the bike and to be honest it runs beautiful and he has done some tasteful mods to the look, so think i will be leaving the airbox alone and put my trust in the guy thats set all this up. Well at least until i get this to someone in
the NE of the UK that can read the cdi and tell me what its all about lol

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Buying a modified bike is a crap-shoot. Sometimes the previous owner knew what he was doing, sometimes not. Bought three old Triumphs and a couple of old Yamahas over the years. My biggest problems always centered around what the last guy did. I have a carburetted America in my fleet. If I were going to modify a bike, it would not be the America. I'd start with a bike that was fast to begin with. ...J.D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just trying to understand what the previous owner has done how it effects the bike, what he has done is quite nice in my opinion, as for making it faster lol we all know its never going to be fast but the ecu mod pipes and airbox ais etc is all to make it run smoother sound better and be more enjoyable. Straight out the factory 99% of bikes always have their flaws due to sound restrictions, emissions and whatever else the designated continent has stupid ideas about lol

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I appreciate these bikes for thier lovely simplicity. Wish manufacturers would still make simple bikes like that with no rider modes, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, etc. My widow will have to sell mine when I'm gone. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I appreciate these bikes for thier lovely simplicity. Wish manufacturers would still make simple bikes like that with no rider modes, cruise control, anti-lock brakes, etc. My widow will have to sell mine when I'm gone. ...J.D.
We're a dying breed, I'm afraid!
Younger guys (their future market) want all the electronic gizmos.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ProCom

You may have pulled the tank off to see that ProCom unit. I have one on my '05 America. There is a small (white) adjustment screw on the unit that can be set in different positions to accommodate different engine mods. I visited w/ProCom folks (http://www.procomeng.com/estore/cdi-unit.html) for their suggestion on where I might set mine. They offered that for the carbed bikes, their CDI basically changes the timing curve of the ignition. EFI bikes see more engine control options. I replaced my OEM CDI because of start/run issues. Other than now the scooter starts/runs fine, I could not identify any other gains for my lightly modified engine. I changed from setting 4 to 5 and no difference that I could feel w/my butt dyno. ProCom folks were fine to talk to about their CDI. ps I think that red/black color scheme is THE BEST !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts