Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question - is there any problem with removing the auxilary airboxes that bolt to the side of the battery box and connect to the main air box? I have had them off while diagnosing some other issues and the bike sounds awesome without them and feels like it has more power (may be psychosematic). If I get some bolts to hold the battery box in place is there anything else I need these chambers for or can I just leave them off?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Sounds like you're looking to get more power on the cheap! It may sound good with the plenum/ snorkels off - but if you compare actual dyno runs, you'll see there are actual losses - I've been there - and it's very apparent in general drive-abilty. I went around the block a 'couple' of times here, fought to find the right jetting - but never with any real overall gain. FCR's are the only valid tuning option, then you use pods or stacks (not recommended) and drop all the plastic! :razz: Or do this....

http://www.redneckcycles.co.uk/index.html?pro_trmph.htm~mainFrame

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, performance is not really my aim - I just noticed how good the triple sounded with the snorkles off. Man, I love the sound of that motor!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

I think there are two things here? I believe the Aux Air boxes should stay as they provide stable air to the main air box (unfortunately they do still quieten the intake noise) if a consistent performance is wanted. The snorkles do not appear to have any influence over the performance of the engine on the runs carried out with my Sprint, and I have left them off.

I guess if your climate is very consistent (e.g. perhaps in your Calif locale?), loosing the Aux Airboxes may not have such an effect as my (dry/damp/wet) UK climate? I think you may have to re-jet though.

(Just my opinion).

Ciao,
Geoff
:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts