Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the intakes between the airbox and the throttle body on my 2002 S4 seems to have gotten stretched out or something and doesn't want to stay put ont he throttle body.

I'm wondering what my best bet is to replace it? Will the ones off of a TT600 work? I can pretty much buy a used replacement airbox for a tt600 for less than one of those intakes and just find a good one of the used airbox.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'm assuming when you say "intakes" you mean the rubber grommets that connects the throttle body assembly to the airbox? Or are the airbox barbs cracking out? Is the rubber of the grommets cracked and separating, causing them to stretch?

They can be hard to seat, but their should be a metal spring ring that helps keep things in shape. From the factory, there was a rubber strap, like on the battery, that held tension on the airbox to keep it seated on the throttle bodies. However, these straps deteriorate quickly or become lost. You might look into a new strap or a some other means of fastening the airbox down.

To answer your question, yes, TT600 grommets will fit on an S4. If you do buy used grommets, make sure the rubber still has good life to it, is not checked, and has no splits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, bike bandit calles them "intakes" on their schematics, so i used their terminology. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. The rubber strap was snapped in half when i pulled the tank off, so i'll need to replace that as well.

It's the rubber grommet just being kinda streached out and not wanting to stay in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts