Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, struggling to get the airbox to fit on the TBs properly. Number 1 is fine but 2 & 3 are leaking fuel. Any tips on getting it to fit down properly and also tightening the clamps? Thanks in advance.

Cheers...........Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
I take it to mean that the rubber boots are not fitting over the “round mouth-ends” (technical term that) of the throttle bodies?

Firstly, make sure that those silly air horns at the front of the airbox are fitted correctly and are not preventing you from pushing the back of the airbox down onto the tops of the bodies.I had a small issue with these which made the airbox keep popping back off whilst trying to do up the clamps. Or that any of the various hose fittings are not getting caught or hindering the airbox from settling into position.
Secondly, I put a very light smear only of rubber grease around the inside edge of the boots. Probably any type of lube will do the job: but only a smear.
This will help the rubber onto the bodies.
Thirdly, I made sure that the circular clamps around the boots were in the easiest and most accessible positions; and then I purchased a 7mm open end/ ratchet end ring spanner to do the clamps up.
This allowed me to hold the airbox in position and do those almost inaccessible clamps up so, so easily.
In fact, the reversible ratchet spanner was probably the key to the entire thing.
Trying to do an eighth -of-turn,spanner on spanner off tightening sequence and holding down the airbox and trying to stop the hose clamp from walking around the boot while doing all of that was bloody hard and frustrating.

I got my spanner from - Ratchet Spanner Combination Open End Ring Metric Gear Socket Wrench 6 - 32 mm AU | eBay . In South Australia .Cost $7.00 including delivery.
Or you could go to Bunnings or anyone who sells a 7 mm ratchet ring spanner.

It made removing AND installing the hose clamps a 20 second job.
You still should ensure that you push the airbox down onto the throttle bodies while you tighten the clamps; but with a ratchet spanner it’s a piece of cake. Push down with one hand and rotate the other wrist in rapid small arcs!
I did the two outside ones then the middle one last.

Go buy one and see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the replay @nicholasj. That's exactly the question I was asking. Appreciate the detailed response and ordered a spanner!
Thanks again........Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
No worries Mate- glad I could help.
I did a valve check and adjustment; plus a throttle body synch back in May so the whole thing was still partially in the brain.
That and the fact I made copious notes afterwards to make the next time way less stressful.
Cheers.
Nick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's exactly what I've done too. Valves anyway. Just got stuck with this part unfortunately. Takes time to learn this stuff doing it for the first time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Nick, thanks again for the advice! Worked a treat. Only issue is that the clamps on mine were 6mm not 7mm. But you saved me. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting. Mine were definitely 7mm. As luck had it, that was the only small size ratchet spanner I didn’t have.
Weird huh.
Anyway, happy to be of assistance to you Paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts