Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to get this kit, which came from Bellacorse($299), at a fantastic price(under $150). I 've read about the pluses but I've also read about the lower MPG people are getting and I'm wondering if I should bother. I get 48mpg and have the AI removal and British Customs Predators which came on the bike from the showroom. The bike runs great! I don't want to mess nothin up. Need some opinions.

[ This message was edited by: 5bassman on 2006-11-19 20:35 ]

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I was getting between 45 and 50 mpg on my 790 prior to the airbox removal kit--now I average 50+ mpg, and that's over the last 12000 miles. I did set it up on the dyno with EGA. I cruise above 5000 rpm most of the time and I don't hesitate to spool her up to the rev limit (mine is set at 8100).

Some bikes get better gas mileage than others, stock or modded, and I would guess your mpg would stay about the same with the airbox removed once you get the jetting spot on--as long as your riding habits don't change much. I believe many of the one's getting lower mpg, do a lot of city riding. I do very little city riding--I live out in the sticks, and that's where I ride. :-D

Larry

[ This message was edited by: RedBird on 2006-11-19 20:26 ]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You do know that you will have to rejet?

For $150, yea go for it.
Or don't and I'll go for it at that price.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2006-11-19 20:29, MES wrote:
You do know that you will have to rejet?
Yea, he said he thought that it came with jets but not sure if it is the ones I need. What do they usually charge for a DYNO. I can install the kit and jets.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Figure $ 250 for dyno tuning on average.That includes as many runs as it takes and changing out carb parts untill it's spot on.Probably worth it.
Redbird has not compromised economy with his power gains ,that thing is dialed in .

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
5bassman,

I guess it depends on how you like to drive your blackmobile.

Me... I'd leave her alone. It's only gonna make a noticable difference at high RPMs anyway. NOT gonna make much difference low and mid ranges. But, you'll have to put in bigger jets and burn more gas. It might even cause a domino effect of adjustments and changes.

With that said... if you like to ride it like a scalded cat, go for it. That's one heck of a good price anyway.

[ This message was edited by: road_dog on 2006-11-21 19:09 ]

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2006-11-21 19:07, road_dog wrote:
5bassman,

I guess it depends on how you like to drive your blackmobile.

Me... I'd leave her alone. It's only gonna make a noticable difference at high RPMs anyway. NOT gonna make much difference low and mid ranges. But, you'll have to put in bigger jets and burn more gas. It might even cause a domino effect of adjustments and changes.

With that said... if you like to ride it like a scalded cat, go for it. That's one heck of a good price anyway.
Well, I'm 43 and pretty much a laid back cruisin kinda guy. If anything I may get the kit and make a few bucks on it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I decide to install it I may contact you about the setup you have, jet size,etc.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-11-19 19:42, 5bassman wrote:
I get 48mpg and have the AI removal and British Customs Predators which came on the bike from the showroom. The bike runs great! I don't want to mess nothin up.
48 MPG is pretty darn good IMO. Just make a few bucks and put it towards something else for the blackmobile. Something that you really want.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On 2006-11-22 07:47, Bonafide wrote:
5bassman - I have one on mine. You're more than welcome to come take a look and give it a test ride. My gas mileage stayed the same (43mpg). I saw that kit you're talking about for sale. The way the ad was worded, it seemed like he had more than one ...
Yea, I asked him if he did but he hasn't gotten back to me. I'm at the beach this week and he said to call him when I get back. He said he would hold it for me. If he has more than one I thought I would pick an extra one up to resale to offset the price of mine. Your bike probably has the 865cc engine too, right?
It would be nice to have a place to store a small tool set also! But I don't want to have to tinker with settings too long. I like to get things set and forget about thing! Did you do your own or a shop?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Airbox elimination kit - secondary air injection system removal

I just installed the airbox elimination kit and it was 100% success. I ran into a couple of kinks and worked them out. I'll be glad to help anyone who needs it. I took a LOT of stuff off!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had the Bella Corse kit installed on my bike and all I can saw it WOW!!:eek: This think sounds wicked and hauls ass!!!!!:motorbike2:
I'd call the folks at Bella Corse and ask for their recommendation on jets for the pipes your running. If you can get that kit for $150 you'd better jump on it before the guy wakes up. I paid full retail for mine but have no regrets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts