Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to drain my airbox today, and there was no plug at the end of the hose. I plan on ordering one tomorrow. I'm guessing its been off a long time, could this cause any complications?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Since that hose in on the carb side of the air filter, when it is unplugged it sucks unfiltered air. But it's extremely small compared to the rest of the air going into the engine. On the other hand it is getting it's air near the ground, behind the front wheel, that kicks up the road dirt.

It's probably not a major problem but it should be plugged up.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You don't need to order one. Anything that will plug it tight will work. Just for fun, look in your tipover valve hose, as sometimes service technicians put it in that hose by mistake. That one is located on the left rear corner of the fuel tank, has a plastic valve in it, and should not have a plug in the end of the lower hose.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
sometimes service technicians put it in that hose by mistake.
Really? Those hoses are a different ID on my bike... I wonder if this is why some people loose their tip over valve and line (unintentionally)... some bikes being fitted with an oversized line on the tank vent... so it falls off :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I didn't mean they swapped hoses; on my bike someone had stuck the drain plug in the lower hose of the tipover valve. I had a pressurized fuel tank that would hiss every time I opened it, and that's how I discovered it. I believe Jimmy sent me the info back when I first got the bike used.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I didn't mean they swapped hoses; on my bike someone had stuck the drain plug in the lower hose of the tipover valve. I had a pressurized fuel tank that would hiss every time I opened it, and that's how I discovered it. I believe Jimmy sent me the info back when I first got the bike used.
I understood, but what I meant was that on my bike even from new the tipover hose would be too small for the plug - was just musing if maybe the factory fitted the same size hose to some bikes, and if they did - maybe thats why some people lose them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didn't even know that there is supposed to be an air box hose drain plug. On my 1996 Adventurer there are two holes in the bottom of the airbox on the back side of the air filter (not on the carburetor side). I don't know what they are for--it's a new air box, straight from Triumph--but a least the air getting in that way is filtered. What I want to know is, where does moisture collect in the air box that it needs a drain? On the carb side of the air filter?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
you normally have 2 holes at the bottom; one before the filter (on the left of the bike) and one after the filter (i.e. closer to the carbs) towards the right.

The left hand one is the drain, the right hand one is from the crank case breather.

I guess it is possible that Triumph have changed the design to put both before the filter.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think the aging population of riders and the increase in the number of them wearing Depends may have necessitated the use of improved drains:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts