Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upstate NY reporting! I just was reading a thread about tire maint. and realized I just parked the bike in the garage for winter. (fuel stabilized etc) I remember someone saying they UPPED the tire (that's a tyre to you) pressure for storage. I do occasionally roll the bike- but is the extra pressure a good idea too? Thanks

I am really wanting to ride- this is my first winter owning a bike- you guys in warmer climes are lucky!

[ This message was edited by: rickj on 2007-03-08 03:43 ]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Rick
I don't know about the tire pressure idea, doesn't the manual say to lower the pressure and get the tires off the ground (I don't have it in front of me so my memory may be hazy).

But, you have to remember the guys that ride all year don't have the exquisite pleasure of the anticipation waiting for the weather to break so they can hit the road. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Remember that those guys in warmer climates have the abusive summers too. Maybe they get the reverse symptom... parking the bike when it's too hot (August in Texas... yuck!).

Here in Maryland we need to occationally park it on the hot days but we get to sneak the odd ride in winter too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder, what's better - the feeling you get when actually riding or the anticipation of riding?

I think I'll go with the feeling you get when actually riding. I live down here in Birmingham, Alabama & I ride through winter (for the most part).

I will say though, it's not very pleasent sitting (not moving) in traffic in August when it's 98 deg and the humidity is up pretty high. Gotta keep moving!

We welcome Spring!

Mike P.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny- but it NEVER gets so hot here that I could imagine not riding even with all my gear- leather pants (over jeans) racing jacket gloves helmet. We get a few hot days- but still it's tolerable.

Seasons are nice and all that but snow into april is pushing it!!! We're beginning to plan our getaway- problem is that EVERY place has its drawbacks- and everyone who visits here thinks it is one of the best!! Maryland, north Carolina sounds climatologically pretty nice. I'd go west if my wife would- but she wont.

The grass is always greener...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rickj,

Snow into April?!? The way it still looks out my back door ...we might have this snow into June....

Seriously....I wouldn't mess with the tire pressure until you are ready to take it on the road again. Rolling your bike periodically is a good idea if you don't store it on a lift.

I also heard that if you are on concrete that a couple of carpet remnants under the tires help.

Mark

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
legend:
You might get a bit more lake effect than Ctown- we might be a bit cooler...whatever- after a few degrees below and a few feet- it's all just bragging rights!!

Carpet- thanks- I shoulda remembered- I'll do it now.

[ This message was edited by: rickj on 2007-03-10 19:44 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts