Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a number of posts on this matter, but can anyone out there put my mind at rest, I have an 08 Bonnie with EFi. When I purchased the bike from new I had the dealer remove the air injection, there was no mention of this causing any problems in the future. The bike appears to me to be running fine, the dealer that removed the Ai didn’t give it to me and has now gone bust so a refit i guess would be expensive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EFI AI Removal

Javlin,
I was having a chat with the tech at the local Truimph dealer about just that. He said that removing the AI from the FI bikes will throw off how they run. He said the 02 sensor is calibrated to compensate for the additional air introduced by the AI. Without the AI, the bike thinks it is running too rich and will lean out the mixture.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I will try to alay any concern javlin. The only negative impact removing AI could create is causing your ECM to default into limp mode. If you have no CEL (check engine light) no worries. Hard to say what your dealer did to prevent a CEL. Perhaps nothing after resetting it. There is some speculation that factory tunes are now available to dismantle AI but unconfirmed. There are two known work arounds however if you do get a light which can affect your drivability.
One...add a 100 ohm resistor to create the same power draw the solenoid that activates AI induces. This allows the ECM to be satisfied that the AI is functional and btw how all check engine lights are satisfied...resistance reduces a current draw baseline against 5V. When resistances fall outside calibrated tolerances the ECM will default to limp mode.
Second workaround is a PowerCommander. The architecture is such that is removes O2 sensor input and no longer looks for AI presence.

If you don't have a light and your bike pulls strong, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Hope that helps,
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Javlin,
I was having a chat with the tech at the local Truimph dealer about just that. He said that removing the AI from the FI bikes will throw off how they run. He said the 02 sensor is calibrated to compensate for the additional air introduced by the AI. Without the AI, the bike thinks it is running too rich and will lean out the mixture.
ToeCutter,
I hate to pick on dealers but a lot of the guys that work there just don't get it. O2 sensors are not calibrated to compensate for the additional air of air injection. Eliminating the AI does not make the ECM think the bike is running rich or lean out the mixture. Here is how it works. Sensors only know what they experience. Same with the ECM. Remove air injection is the same as closing the throttle. It reduces air. That is all. The way OBDII works is...for any given amount of air (with or without AI) the O2 sensors sense amount of air by heat...and send this message to the ECM. The ECM compares this value to the A/F map and then tells how long the injectors need to fire (fixed flowrate) to achieve the A/F map calibration. The only problem with AI removal is how the ECM senses it is intact. It does this by virtue of its solenoid which creates resistance when it opens the AI. If the ECM does not sense this resistance, a fault code (CEL) is created and the ECM can default into a limp mode map which can adversely affect driveability. Removing AI on an EFI bike is little different than a carbed bike. The O2 sensors on an EFI bike have no idea if AI exists...nor do they compensate for lack of air by removing AI. O2 sensors only sense how much air is being inducted into the motor whether AI is intact or not.
Hope that helps,
George

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks biker7 i will carry on enjoying what is a great bike if i do experience any future problems may go down the power commander route:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts