Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
And I've moved it to a new topic 'cause it's got nothing to with the other thread. :D

The air filter/airbox unit was designed to be disposable, but if you're careful when taking the airbox apart, you can clean the filter with foam filter cleaner. You can really only do this once twice before the airbox is trashed, unless you're both careful and lucky.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-_-

"Why have them just replace a ten dollar filter when they can replace a fifty dollar assembly that will be impossible to find in five years" is exactly how that conversation went.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can switch to a K&N. I did that on my 98 Sprint Sport. The filter and airbox have held up very well. It is still a pain in my butt to get the filter out and cleaned. You do have to make a slight mod to the air filter by cutting holes around where the screws hold the airbox together.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The K&N won't make the disposable airbox last any longer, though, and cotton gauze filters don't filter very well compared to foam.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
157 Posts
The K&N won't make the disposable airbox last any longer, though, and cotton gauze filters don't filter very well compared to foam.

Cheers,
-Kit
My airbox had the two sides held together with screws. I did have it replaced under warranty at the 600 mile mark (the old one was cracked). Maybe I got an uprated airbox? Was the airbox different on the sprint sports from some of the other 900 engines? I know these were supposed to be replaced as a unit (airbox and filter), but mine has held up to yearly removal, separation and K&N filter cleaning.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Sounds like you've been lucky with the new one, Dean. The screws in my Trident's original airbox spun the first time I tried to pull it apart, and lots of them crack. The airbox in my 955 is made of plastic about four times as thick as the 885's. I don't think there was ever an upgrade, but there could've been one I just don't know about.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts