Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Triumph bobber black
70 Posts
Hi Folks I have one good air filter for my bonnie.

Bought a couple of spares from Walridge and they turned out to be EMGO paper ones. I would have tried them but they are about 3 mm too thin and the pancake filter end covers are not tight and there would be massive air leaks. They have sat in a box for a few years.

I then recently tried the expensive (12 quid gauze filters) ones from LP Williams.

They are gauze, sort of, but still too thin and will lead to a super lean mixture if actually used in practice if one does not notice the loose end covers. There is about 3mm difference between the good one and the bad ones in thickness. I'm returning them to LPW.

Please avoid them.
View attachment 744478

View attachment 744479

So the question is, as I don't know where I got the one good filter from , does anyone know who sells proper air filters. Was quite disappointed by LPW...

Cheers

BMF
My Yamaha 1100 that uses a similar filter comes with a foam strip around it (factory) conversely the K&N filter was thicker🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
OK so had a chat with LP williams (and also tried with CAW incidentally).

LP williams is going to get a filter in from CAW and measure it up. I tried to ask CAW where I could buy their filter from (they only deal with the trade) but they did not reply.

Great service form LPW , as usual.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No, it's no hassle, I like to get to the bottom of things to avoid others having potential problems from such a simple thing.. (and hold down a full time job at the same time 😉).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It appears as though LP williams have now obtained a CAW filter that has the correct 1.678” depth (about 42mm) rather than the EMGO gauze one of 1.535 (around 39mm). Still waiting for final confirmation from them though on availability and pricing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
RESULT!

LPW now offers the correct thickness CAW filter for those who want it. Just mention it to them when you order. It is a few quid more expensive than the thin EMGO one.

Just as a reminder, it appears from the previous discussion that if anyone has purchased EMGO air filter HOUSINGS, than you might want the thinner EMGO filters. If you have the original housings you probably want the CAW ones, but I cant confirm this. As usual, measure check and decide before ordering anything :p .

Don, thanks for pointing me in CAW's direction.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of my (original?) filter housings has a buggered thread and won’t securely screw onto new 930 carb,

any solutions apart from replacement?

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi Chas,
filter housings has a buggered thread and won’t securely screw onto new 930 carb,
New air filters.
If you follow this advice, entering the air filter part number into Google, returned images show two different mountings: one with a thread directly in the thin air filter front steel plate, the other with the filter Jubilee-clipped around a separate, thicker steel ring, the ring having the internal thread to fit on the carb.

Fwiw, my 500's similar air filter has the second type of mounting; iirc, the steel ring is available from Amal, so there shouldn't be any issue with a ring's thread matching the thread on a carb.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, mine are original domed filters and they won’t screw onto the (new premiers) carbs securel, so currently running without filters. I don’t won’t to lose the originals so it’s a choice between running without or attempting to use something like instant metal to secure them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts