Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks I have one good air filter for my bonnie.

Bought a couple of spares from Walridge and they turned out to be EMGO paper ones. I would have tried them but they are about 3 mm too thin and the pancake filter end covers are not tight and there would be massive air leaks. They have sat in a box for a few years.

I then recently tried the expensive (12 quid gauze filters) ones from LP Williams.

They are gauze, sort of, but still too thin and will lead to a super lean mixture if actually used in practice if one does not notice the loose end covers. There is about 3mm difference between the good one and the bad ones in thickness. I'm returning them to LPW.

Please avoid them.

So the question is, as I don't know where I got the one good filter from , does anyone know who sells proper air filters. Was quite disappointed by LPW...

Cheers

BMF

·
Registered
2015 Triumph America. 2014 Honda VFR800f
39 Posts
My 2015 America came fitted with a K&N, I know these are widely use, not sure if they make one to suit your model, but would assume they would. I have actually gone back to a stock Triumph filter even though they are very expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Triumph America. 2014 Honda VFR800f
39 Posts
Brain fade there, 🤯 it was actually the DNA filter the bike came with (second owner)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hi BMF. Yes this is a big deal & a problem I've ran into.

So far as I can tell this is the only place that makes the proper filters.
Copper and Automotive Washer Co (copwash.co.uk)

You must verify from seller this is they exact maker of filters they sell. Also how thick filter is.

Filter is sold under both F(82)-5764 & 6866. I don't know know difference. However parts sellers have no problems selling parts that don't fit.

I got the correct ones for '69 Bonnie at shop in Texas USA. I can't find the name. They were CAW brand & fit/worked perfectly.

On an aside CAW made the originals back in the day & continue to do so. In USA CAW sells for about twice as much. Worth it though.

All I can tell you is contact sellers & good luck. They can be found. Maybe CAW has a retailer list they can give you. I'd contact them. This is important stuff.
Don

·
Registered
294 Posts
The cheap-ass part of me would have cut a strip of 3mm thick rubber to use as a distance and run those short filters as is. The mildly tuning interested demon in me is running long, expensive velocity stacks and foam filters though!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've contacted CAW. Il let you know what they say about places to buy from.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Exactly how tall(thick) is your good filter? Baxter Cycle has dimensions listed for U.K. manufactured filters with a width of 1.5 inch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recently saw a pic of someones bonnie with thin filters, I noticed because they were obvious, thinner elements than even your pics I think and it seems like there were no outside chrome? Idk how they managed that but my first thought was hmmm, I'll bet that one's running rich. It looked unusual but not in a bad way, I wish I could find the pic again.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Someone mentioned K&N filters. I own ONE ! It hangs on the pegboard in my shop. If I wanted that little protection, I would get a piece of window screen at the home center and install it. It would be cheaper and just as effective. :D. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi J.D.,
K&N filters
If I wanted that little protection, I would get a piece of window screen at the home center and install it. It would be cheaper and just as effective.
Otoh, now into year 38 of using K&N's on at least one T160 (both T160's since some time in the 1990's after I gave up on a T150 date-box air filter). No noticeable additional bore wear issues.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi,
bonnie with thin filters,
thinner elements
no outside chrome? Idk how they managed that
If they're K&N's, if the ends are black, they're a hard rubber moulding over the ends of the wire gauze retainers; chrome ends are 'glued' to the the ends of the wire gauze retainers with similar rubber.

my first thought was hmmm, I'll bet that one's running rich.
Can't speak for the individual 'pod' filters on 650's and 750's but, on triples, K&N 'pods' flow more air than standard T150 or T160 filters. Likely the same on 650's and 750's because all the Mikuni conversions run K&N 'pods', and they don't "run rich".

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Stuart idk if they were K&N or not, they weren't pods in the usual sense, they looked like triumph pancake filters only a good bit thinner. They looked physically like they had maybe 30 percent less surface area. I wish I could find that pic, I was looking at 650 pics for paint inspiration.

Reactions: GrandPaulZ

·
Registered
199 Posts
They did look similar to this although I dont remember the nuts on the back. They looked kinda cool but idk how they would run. They may be a larger diameter so could still flow enough.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Someone mentioned K&N filters. I own ONE ! It hangs on the pegboard in my shop. If I wanted that little protection, I would get a piece of window screen at the home center and install it. It would be cheaper and just as effective. :D. ...J.D.
K&N needs to be cleaned and oiled regularly to work,
Lots of us have run them for decades.

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Stuart idk if they were K&N or not, they weren't pods in the usual sense, they looked like triumph pancake filters only a good bit thinner. They looked physically like they had maybe 30 percent less surface area. I wish I could find that pic, I was looking at 650 pics for paint inspiration.
K&N makes the flatter ones, as do Emgo...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Just what I want to spend my time on "cleaning and oiling and air filter". I quit putting oil in an air filter back in the early 60's. Most of you are probably too young to remember oil bath air cleaners. I use the factory one and it works just fine. ...JD.

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi JD,
Just what I want to spend my time on "cleaning and oiling and air filter". I quit putting oil in an air filter back in the early 60's.
I use the factory one and it works just fine.
On that basis, I'd ride an ugly motorcycle ... The T160 air cleaner was badly-beaten with the ugly stick, K&N's look better. My time is free, water is free, degreaser I have anyway, K&N give away some free oil with their filters, the solitary can of K&N filter oil I've bought was a miniscule fraction of the 38-year-cost of multiple replacement "factory" air filters not only for my Triumphs but for my other bikes.

The most-common Meriden Triumph in use today are '73-on oil-in-frame twins. Many owners also think their "factory" air filters are ugly. Another common mod. is to replace the standard carbs. with Japanese; these don't fit the "factory" air filters; as in @GrandPaulZ's photo. above, K&N's or similar are the only option.

Life'd be awful boring if we were all the same, eh? Just as well we're all different.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Got to admit I.am playing with you guys a bit. Truly amazing how passionate people are about thier air filter :D . Oh don't ask about oil changes ! Have a great week guys :) ...J.D.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just what I want to spend my time on "cleaning and oiling and air filter". I quit putting oil in an air filter back in the early 60's. Most of you are probably too young to remember oil bath air cleaners. I use the factory one and it works just fine. ...JD.
Well,its 5 minutes per bike/year, i cant imagine pensioners being That busy? Although my well retired dad seems to never have a day off..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts