Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official; the guy at the grocery store checkout asked me if I still have my Triumph.
I said why yes, I don't have any reason to sell it with only 67,000 miles.
He said people are looking for these air-cooled twins now. (Not him - he has been wanting that last Dyna Lowrider S since like years now.) But others, he says, lots of others looking for these Bonnies so don't sell it.
Okay buds, I say. Good to hear it.

Query: The Retro bike becomes a classic Retro bike - When?

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
Not sure on the answer to that question but I do know that my old 2002 gets plenty of attention from people.
They may not be in the market to buy a bike but they sure seem to like to look and talk about my old bike.

I have no doubt I could get what I paid for my bike but I have no intentions of selling it.

·
Driftless Admin
11,766 Posts
That's a good question. I wonder if any other motorcycle will ever have the the panache and desirability of the 60's Triumph/Norton/BSAs. Ours get a lot of second looks, and parking lot conversations, but really because they look a lot like the "real thing". Like these old guys come over thinking they've spotted Marilyn Monroe, only to realize it's an impersonator. But that's OK, it's all memories anyways, and they don't mind a couple minutes with the look-a-like.

I remember well someone around here buying an orange "special edition" Bonneville. Probably around 2010. DrX or something? I guess I don't remember that well. But he bought it and put it on display, intent on not putting miles on it, and scoring a bit of coin when it got to be a collectors item. I know very little about these things, but I still feel like he's not going to beat the rate of inflation. Much better to just ride the thing, and enjoy it for what it is.

I am very glad there are still carbed Bonnies out there with low miles. I will probably buy another one day, if this one ever wears out. And they can be found pretty cheap. I really can't imagine the day when the price goes up due to rarity. Myself.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am very glad there are still carbed Bonnies out there with low miles. I will probably buy another one day, if this one ever wears out. And they can be found pretty cheap. I really can't imagine the day when the price goes up due to rarity. Myself.
Low mileage unmolested carbed Bonny's are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Penny, my 2013 Bonneville gets loads of admiring looks and comments from people by when she is parked outside me house. I've been in my bedroom and observed people slowing down and stopping their walk just to spend a bit of time looking at her. Some parents even point her out to their young children.

She gets far more looks and positive comments than the BMW R1100 RT parked a few metres down the road.

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
And I can't imagine finding an air cooled carbed Scrambler. Never see those
If I ran across the right one I would snag it up. A Scrambler would be a great addition to the herd. But you're right - they are far & few.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I agree these get a lot of looks. I have a question, though. I think I understand the preference for air cooled over water cooled. Why the pref for carbed over the EFI, though? I have an EFI. I'm not enough of a mechanic to know why the preference.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Why the pref for carbed over the EFI, though? I have an EFI. I'm not enough of a mechanic to know why the preference.
I've been wondering the same. The best I can figure is that carbs are more "authentic" and therefore preferred for that old skool ownership/riding experience. Just my opinion though. I have very very limited mechanical knowledge so wanted EFI so I could be sure the bike would start and run all the time, every time.

·
Driftless Admin
11,766 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Less than 5,000 miles on it! God bless those non-riders, saving their bikes for us to buy later :)
That's how I got mine. 2013 model with only 1397 miles on her! 😁

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have no justification of my preference for carbs to offer. It's a matter of the heart, not the mind. I do love those days when the air is just right and those carbs sing a little sweeter, and the bike starts pulling at it's reigns.
Yea, but there's a lot to be said for just turning the key and punching the button regardless of air temp or altitude.

With carbs you can usually help yourself. With EFI you can't if you ever have to.

Back in the day crossing the country on my 66 T120C I learned to love my Webco main jet wrench ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have very very limited mechanical knowledge so wanted EFI so I could be sure the bike would start and run all the time, every time.
My 07 carb'd starts at 20* and doesn't even have a choke any more. As long as battery is charged she runs.
Efi doesn't mean it will run all the time, wait till u start throwing codes.

·
Driftless Admin
11,766 Posts
I don't actually know what that means.....
ODBC codes. When the check engine light comes on, you hook a computer up to the bike to see what the codes are, to indicate what the problem is. There's no check engine light, or way to hook up a computer, on the carbed bikes. No tunes to load, by dealer or otherwise. For better or worse.

·
Registered
516 Posts
ODBC codes. When the check engine light comes on, you hook a computer up to the bike to see what the codes are, to indicate what the problem is. There's no check engine light, or way to hook up a computer, on the carbed bikes. No tunes to load, by dealer or otherwise. For better or worse.
Ah. Ok. Thank you!👍🏾😁

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I get that now, thanks for the explanation. I've already decided I'm going to stick to general maintenance things outside the engine. If the engine needs to be looked into, I'm taking it to the dealer, so EFI is fine for me. And I liked making the mods and loading the TTP tune on my bike.

These modern classics do turn a lot of heads, though! I'm amazed how many times old timers ask me if it's a restoration. I mean no kick starter, disc brakes, but at first glance ... Triumph did an outstanding job with the retro look.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Less than 5,000 miles on it! God bless those non-riders, saving their bikes for us to buy later :)
Yes indeed. That is how I acquired mine. A guy who loved his Bonneville bought a new one for his wife, assuming she would want to ride with him.

I picked it up two years old with 800 miles on it. She indeed had been using it... as a laundry drying rack in their garage.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts