Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going from my '14 Bonnie base to a '19-'20 Street Twin. It seems the ST is an all-around better motorcycle - lighter, better torque, modern electronics.
For those of you that have ridden or owned both, is there a marked difference in performance between the bikes? Will I notice the increased torque? I like my Bonnie, but honestly, I wish it had more grunt and power. I know the HP figures are very close between the two bikes, but I'm hoping the torque from the ST will set it apart.

I plan on getting a test ride soon on an ST. I can't really afford a more expensive bike like the Speed Twin.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The difference be be obvious when you're on the test ride. Better throttle response, more torque, significant improvement in handling, etc... and no ugly kink in the exhaust pipe....

Paul

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have gone from AC Thruxton to the WC thruxton and guess what the old Thruxton hardly get ridden now the new WC bikes are so much better in everything, they are so much better to ride and you will never look back.
Anyone want to buy a 2013 Thruxton.

Ashley

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went from an '09 Bonneville to a '16 Street Twin a few years ago - incredible difference between the two bikes, and the newer (2019) Street Twins are even better. Handling and torque are the two big differences - it's so responsive, and it rides like it's on rails - then you've got modern amenities like a fuel gauge (!), ABS, ride-by-wire, USB port. A much better bike - you won't regret the upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 07 Bonneville for 8 years, was a great bike. I would try to shift into sixth gear on the freeway the entire time I owned the bike.

Now I have 12,000 miles on a 17 Street Twin, much better bike, handles so much better, and gobs of torque. Never look for a 6th gear any more. Driving in heavy traffic was not easy, I installed a booster plug, driving in heavy traffic is no problem any more 1st and 2 second gear is much smoother now. You will be happy with the Street Twin.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have gone from AC Thruxton to the WC thruxton and guess what the old Thruxton hardly get ridden now the new WC bikes are so much better in everything, they are so much better to ride and you will never look back.
Anyone want to buy a 2013 Thruxton.

Ashley
I too have both and if they were in stock trim I would have to agree . It is possible with careful improvement to close the gaps . Upgrade your existing bike or replace with newer depends where you want to spend your hard earned .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2001 hard tail Bonneville and a 2018 Bobber. They both get ridden equally but i cant compare them!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
When the 2016 T120 and Thrux came out, a moto journalist had this to say during the Australian press launch: "Everything you liked about the air cooled Bonnevilles is greatly enhanced. Everything you didn't like is gone." It's true, but it all comes at the cost of greatly complicated electronics, some of which occasionally develop a mind of their own.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had traded my 2014 Street Triple R for a 2019 Speed Twin last year and it shared garage space with my 2012 Bonnie SE. Like Ashman, my 2012 Bonnie was seldom ridden, once the Speed Twin arrived. When I did ride it, its short comings compared to the Speed Twin became more apparent. I ended up trading my 2012 Bonnie earlier this year for a 2020 BMW R9T/5.

I would recommend test riding both the Street Twin and Speed Twin. The price difference may not be that great; especially, if you can find a 2019 carry over. There is no difference between the 2019 and 2020 Speed Twin.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I went from a Bonnie SE to a Scrambler 900 to a T120. Of course the capacity is greatly increased but so is the capability.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My gf has a 19 Street Twin, I have a 14 mag wheel (had both since mile 1). The Street Twin is a better, more modern bike in every way. A little smaller in stature. More refined, better handling, a bit more grunt in the low end... I still will take my air cooled over the water cooled every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
air cooled models are simpler + the older 5 speed is better than my preowned 18 T120 6 spd or my new leftover 19 street scram. of course new water cooled models have more power + other goodies

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Every British motorcycle I have owned always had the 360 swing, being old school with over 45 years owning British bikes and still have my old Norton I have owned since new, the thought of buying a new WC Triumph was never in my mind having a new 2013 AC Thruxton for over 6 years, then one day decided to take a 1200 WC Thruxton for a long test ride, I was so impressed I bought one but a old stock new Thruxton S at a greatly reduced price as well they dropped another $1k off it, it also had the fairing kit installed, so a huge discount for me and I have never given the change in the crank swing another thought, the only thing I have done to it was the Meerkat and open stock mufflers, rack on the back and saddle bag supports for my throw over leather saddle bags when traveling, I am happy the way it is, but a set of good shocks and Race Tec springs up front will be added soon.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had traded my 2014 Street Triple R for a 2019 Speed Twin last year and it shared garage space with my 2012 Bonnie SE. Like Ashman, my 2012 Bonnie was seldom ridden, once the Speed Twin arrived. When I did ride it, its short comings compared to the Speed Twin became more apparent. I ended up trading my 2012 Bonnie earlier this year for a 2020 BMW R9T/5.

I would recommend test riding both the Street Twin and Speed Twin. The price difference may not be that great; especially, if you can find a 2019 carry over. There is no difference between the 2019 and 2020 Speed Twin.
The Speed and the R9T. Nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not ridden the newer wc triumphs though i have the old ac triumphs and other wc motorcycles. For me its wc only, hands down. AC bikes have an exhaust smell and then I smell like oil the rest of the day and don't last near as long and the smell gets worse. Contrasting, the wc and efi equipped newer bikes i am very confident will be very clean, even if you remove the cat to get even more power. Plus they will last 10 times longer as long as you run them 160 degrees. My 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts