Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I see that it's original part number D3072 that morphed into 60-3072. Here's what I find online and please note what I found on my bike once the air cleaner covers were removed and it appears that the replacements wrap themselves around the rectangular shaped molding. Hmmm, what's that piece of foam rubber and there's one on the other side of the bike as well and no rectangular filter was to be found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????

Attachments

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Not seen that before. I suppose it would work ok if foam isn't to restrictive. At least air leaks around covers aren't an issue, which can be a problem.

With a vented bowl like we have (vents via tickler) any air filter restriction can mess with mixture.

I wonder if going to stock gauze or stock size filtron foam would be better?

But, if this is working good & not deteriorated, just clean, oil & use it.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not seen that before...............But, if this is working good & not deteriorated, just clean, oil & use it.
Don
The bike has not yet been fired up (...a few more electrical thingys) and the foam on the other side is really deteriorated as if mice have eaten into some of it. Not knowing anything about foam, I'd really like to go with stock filters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me too. Remove the foam. Gas will saturate it after tickling and be a fire hazard later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
dump the foam - get some stock type filters - if you have the stock outer covers the filters go straight in - and like you say locate on the rectangular raised moulding= with a corresponding moulding on the outer cover - there are several types of filter available - some just have an outer perimeter of filter - others have the centre part filled in with a thin metal panel , with either a square or round hole in the panel - i believe they will all fit your housing - as they will also fit all years of OIF models

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
That really looks like mattress foam and will ignite.There are plenty of proper filters for that model.Personally,i removed my filters 15 years ago and just avoid running through any sand storms.I am near the sea and sand but never had any bore wear problems from dust.I have had carbs wear,but since fitting the hard slides,no wear yet.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
..............Personally,i removed my filters 15 years ago and just avoid running through any sand storms.I am near the sea .......
Having grown up in the Mojave Desert, I may return for a cruise and therefore the stock filters/cleaners will be used. I like the ones that are washable and resuable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts