Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of taking my 09 Bonnie to the dealer to get the stock air box removed and the K&N kit install any info on performance + and cost?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Read Dr. Forcehetto's recent thread on this topic.
You may not want to dump your air box just yet
like most of us carb guys did years ago.
It is a different game with EFI.

·
Registered
448 Posts
have you already opened up the exhaust? I didnt like the the tune after I had my airbox and air injection done by the dealer. so I bought the Power Commander III and had the bike dynoed. the whole cost ultimately. $500 for exhaust, $300 for ARK, $300 for the PCIII, And about $300 labor for all the instalation and the dyno tune. all this expense that I will never get back if I sell the bike. Although I am not a fast rider, I do not putt and lag the motor. I cruise my bike around 4000 rpm and rarely shift much under 5500. In this range, the difference in the way the motor responds is quite obvious. and when I give the throttle a little extra twist the tach flies right up. The stock set up really seemed to struggle up around six grand with my fat arse on the bike.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Some sage advice!

I am thinking of taking my 09 Bonnie to the dealer to get the stock air box removed and the K&N kit install any info on performance + and cost?
The other postees have given you a good starting point to your answer.

What you need to consider is what are you after. If your bike is very stock then pipes will make a difference and bring a smile to your face and any old coger who remebers the 60's.

Once you start palying things can get pretty expensive especially if you aernt ging to do the work yourself. Also once you start you sorta get hooked and a R1 isnt that much more!

If you want to go to first base this is not too bad pipes and maybe a less restrictive airfilter can be done cheap with good results. Pieman can probably give you the neccesary advice as to what you need to do to make the electrical gizmos work properly.

There gets to be a stage though where everything gets to be ball park and the fine fettle takes time, maybe $ and frustration.

The other option and i presume you are state side. Decide what you want and set a budget and send the bike to TPUSA and get it all done by experienced Triumph nuts. This is not to denegrate other specialsists, just my experience with TPUSA, sure there are others that can help.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
at the moment TPUSA only has tunes for carbs, they e-mailed me EFI tunes are coming, prolly same as the fine UK site as they are affiliated, PieMan is the MAN it seems, EFI tunes with fuel + timing adjustments are better than just fuel tuning, do all your upgrades than get the proper tune, everyone seems happy with PieMan's work, although sending the ECU if you can't do the setup is tough, i am hoping the USA site gets the same tunes for this reason, i am still learning, my first FI bike

·
Registered
805 Posts
I removed my air box, AI, O2 sensors and put on free flowing exhaust. Bought a tune from Pieman and I am LOVING it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is the thread Von Dotch was referring to.

Also read this interesting post at the TTP site.

Some here believe that there is not much more to be gained by removing the airbox itself after installing a Breathe; high performance filter; free flowing pipes; a TTP tune; and removing the airbox baffle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts