Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Does any one have any experience with the British Custom Triumph Bonneville & Thruxton Air Box Removal Kit - EFI

I have the Thruxton Predator Exhaust and was thinking this would go well. Is it easy to install..Going on a 2010

Your Thoughts

Thanks

Carl

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Very well documented subject....search it out for more info.

Easy will depend on how comfortable you are with wrenches. Many many riders have done this mod including myself. Really, outside of changing your cans, the most popular mod around. You will need a way to reprogram your your ecu. Go to the twins technical section for more information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking of removing the air injection at the same time, if I do all this will I need to get the efi re mapped. Is this something one can do or will it have to go to the dealer

carl

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was also thinking of removing the air injection at the same time, if I do all this will I need to get the efi re mapped. Is this something one can do or will it have to go to the dealer

carl
Typically dealers will only hold a handful of maps that only adjust for fitting the Arrow exhausts. None of the OEM maps are perfect for airbox or AI removal. You can however buy custom maps from somewhere like Triumphtwinpower.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This seems a little expensive 300 for the air box kit 140 for the map and 25 for the programming cable

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well kind off new back after 25 years away...It is the maping that I find expensive not the kit its self

Carl

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's all relatively easy. You can remove the rear shocks and jack the bike up high enough to get the airbox out without removing your rear tire if you don't want to go through that hassle. Hardest part for me was reattaching the rear brake fluid reservoir and the fusebox. I cut off the old bracket because I didn't like how it was supposed to be attached per the BC instructions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all relatively easy. You can remove the rear shocks and jack the bike up high enough to get the airbox out without removing your rear tire if you don't want to go through that hassle. Hardest part for me was reattaching the rear brake fluid reservoir and the fusebox. I cut off the old bracket because I didn't like how it was supposed to be attached per the BC instructions.
I was looking for advice on the changes I need to make to EFI map and how to do it without spending the same as you pay for the kit fron BC

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you have an EFI bike, you can use TuneECU (free software) to remap. There are free maps available too, although I found it confusing to figure that out, so I just paid Pieman for one of his excellent maps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have an EFI bike, you can use TuneECU (free software) to remap. There are free maps available too, although I found it confusing to figure that out, so I just paid Pieman for one of his excellent maps.

Yeah, that...

I went through 4 different OEM/custom maps for mine, and none of them worked well at all. As others have stated, the OEM and custom maps off of the TuneECU site seem to not work very well with the airbox removal. I bought one of Pieman's maps from the Triumph TwinPower website (#11) and it works great. Well worth the price, IMO. Actually it is better than great...the bike really runs so much better. I get better throttle control at lower revs, and the butt-dyno tells me that there is a more stable application of power throughout all gears (can't confirm that though since I have never dyno'd the bike). Plus, there are instructions for using the TuneECU software on the TTP site as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just did this install last night....2 months ago I had never owned a street bike. It's relatively easy. You will need a lift(jack) and some basic tools. It's pretty much 4 bolts, a couple clamps, and 4-5 beers...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, Thanks for all the feed back. I think I will hold off on the Air box and KNs for a while. Going to do the AI removal, and If that goes well. I may be do the air box next year

Cheers Carl

·
Registered
523 Posts
Guys, Thanks for all the feed back. I think I will hold off on the Air box and KNs for a while. Going to do the AI removal, and If that goes well. I may be do the air box next year

Cheers Carl
The bike will need remapping after blocking up the AI so I really wouldn't bother until you're ready to take out the airbox.

You can remove the airbox relatively cheaply by doing some fabricating yourself. You can pick up a couple of pod filters for not a lot and then its just a matter of finding a way of supporting the battery and ECU with a bracket etc.

Then you just need to load the map up!

To be honest I've now got used to having the AI on my bike and quite like the amount of flames I get from the back of my TORS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts