Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just bought a new Speed Triple 2 with a Arrow 3/1 full system.

I want to swap the OEM airfilter for a K&N. Is there any other airbox mods I should contemplate whilst I having the tank off?

I have read a lot about SAI removal on this forum - what is this and what benefits does it achieve?

Cheers,

/F

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah just the SAI blockoff/removal. it keeps the exhaust from popping on decel and the bike will run a bit cooler.

i removed mine when i changed my airfilter. the blockoff plates were on sale on britishcustoms.com. you have to load non sai map or the check engine light will come on. there is an arrow exhaust with no sai map you (or the dealer) can load.

i put the top rated map for the speed triple from t595.net on mine and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Someone last week posted something about drilling holes in the airbox, but they never elaborated on exactly where they did it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Folks.
I would use care when drilling holes in the air box. Unless you are a fair weather rider. What do you do when your caught in the rain and now your bike starts to suck in water?

Cheers
Larry

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you drilled small holes on the tip lid and then put mesh screens on them do you think it would suck in water?

i do this with my 4-wheeler and it lets you ad more fuel and makes quite the difference.

edit: found this from a good source, anyone agree?

Don't drill the airbox. You have more flow than you need. My bike made 108 hp stock, and 135 hp the last trip to the dyno with the stock airbox.

Drilling holes just adds noise - I really wish those who keep telling others to do this would test what they recommend and quit spreading old wive's tales.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
found this from a good source, anyone agree?
I very much agree that some solid dyno evidence would be needed first, before starting to randomly hack holes on the airbox. As far as what I have gathered from more knowledgeable guys, the head itself is the constricting part. No use improving intake or exhaust header flow as the head can take no more in stock form & with stock cams.

Some rearranged the outside snorkels to face outward instead of towards each other. Some added scoops to direct hotter air away (like it matters when the bike is moving). Some drilled holes to the front. No actual solid results to back up the mods.

Of course you could be the first to properly try modding the box. Dyno & remap bike now. Hack airbox to your best knowledge. Dyno & remap again. I'm sure many would be interested on your findings. If the power ends up worse, you can always block the holes with a plate & rivets.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I very much agree that some solid dyno evidence would be needed first, before starting to randomly hack holes on the airbox. As far as what I have gathered from more knowledgeable guys, the head itself is the constricting part. No use improving intake or exhaust header flow as the head can take no more in stock form & with stock cams.

Some rearranged the outside snorkels to face outward instead of towards each other. Some added scoops to direct hotter air away (like it matters when the bike is moving). Some drilled holes to the front. No actual solid results to back up the mods.

Of course you could be the first to properly try modding the box. Dyno & remap bike now. Hack airbox to your best knowledge. Dyno & remap again. I'm sure many would be interested on your findings. If the power ends up worse, you can always block the holes with a plate & rivets.
hum.. i would love access to a dyno, lol. if i did this realistically i would get my hands on a second stock airbox and mod it slightly and try different tunes, and then slowly mod it more. and if i ever go to far or it just plain-ol sucks i can throw the stock box back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts