Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a 2009 EFI Thruxton for a while now and am looking for some beginning modifications to perform on my stock bike. I have been looking into Air Box Removal kits and Air Injection Removal kits and the burning question has been what benefits will I actually receive if I perform either of these operations, if any.

Through my research I have not yet been able to find a real simple/straightforward answer. Any response to help is would be appreciated! :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air Box Removal

I haven't done this to a 2009 but I helped do the air box removal one several 2007/8s when I worked at a Triumph dealership. It is usually don in conjunction with a higher flow/performance exhaust pipe. If the exhaust pipe is the limiting factor in air flow in/out, then you won't get a big HP boost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey...Good Luck as you start the never ending process of customizing your Thrux... As far as I know, doing the Air Injection Removal kit on your 2009 EFI will actually HURT your performance. Read this thread and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/95766-efi-ai-removal.html

It has to do with the EFI computer needing the Air Injection system in order to work properly...In short, don't touch it! As for the Air Box Elimination kit, I'm getting ready to take that plunge also and I'm still debating the the ready made box (300.00 more or less plus money for mechanic to rejet) or the kit that allows you to cut up your original box (120.00 plus money for mechanic.)
I know I can handle the swap in/out of the box but Im too chickensh*t to try the rejet on my own...

Peace and good luck,

Carlos L.

·
Registered
86 Posts

2008 EFI Thrux TORS ,AI removed and Air box removed with pod filters , Unlocked and remapped on the Dyno using a Tune Boy.
I would do the DIY air box cut up mod with K&Ns which saves a lot of money and provides more water protection to the electrics ,if I did it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a new 09 Tornado Red Thruxton and I recently removed the air injection sytem less the soleniod valve. I left the vlave under the tank plugged in so the computer would still open and close it at will. This keeps it from turning on my engine light. Other than that, the vlave is not connected to anything except the electrical wires going to the computer. The valve weighs but a few ounces, so I figured it was not huge weight savings by getting it out of there. You can put a resitor in its place and I thnk a 100 Ohm 10WATT one would do it but it just seemed like a extra hassle to me. If you just disconnect the solenoid then be ready for the engine light to come on.

Now, I did this because I had fitted a set of TORS exhaust and I did not want al lot of popping on decel. The performance increase from removing the air injection was absolutely zero, AS IT SHOULD BE, but the exhaust and tune from Triumph made a nice power increase and it cruises more relaxed at highway speeds. AND, the sound is great too. I found it you crack the throttle on decel with the new injection the bike WILL pop like crazy as if the computer is actually allowing the injectiors to pulse.

Just a few notes:

1. Removing the AI will not HURT the perfomance of the 09 Thruxton and it will not increase your power output.

2. Removing the AI may help reduce pipe bluing (which I like) but it will definitely decrease pops on decel

3. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air Box Removal

I, too, was curious about the performance boost that could be had by removing the air box when installing better exhaust on my efi (2010) thruxton. I messaged Carlos at Triumph Performance USA directly about the matter and his reply was that an extra horsepower could be had by removing the air box. Taking the overall performance gain from 13hp to 14hp...Now I'm not sure how strapped you are on money, but I assure you that I will not be spending $120-200 on an air box removal kit for 1hp net. I'm not a racer so the weight difference does not apply either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have been riding a 2009 EFI Thruxton for a while now and am looking for some beginning modifications to perform on my stock bike. I have been looking into Air Box Removal kits and Air Injection Removal kits and the burning question has been what benefits will I actually receive if I perform either of these operations, if any.

Through my research I have not yet been able to find a real simple/straightforward answer. Any response to help is would be appreciated! :confused:
Simple/straightforward answer for me is increased power and performance.

I went -
Predator Exhaust
AI Removal
Airbox Elimination Kit - NARK
Tuneboy

FWIW, @ 1000kms I did the pipes & AI then put another 2000kms on the speedo before doing the Nark kit and re-map with only minor issues at low revs in that time. This was only from limited finances more than anything else. The Nark and tune made a huge difference. :D All up about $1500AUS well spent. Also the NARK looks heaps better than taking to the Airbox with a hacksaw blade and Dremel which I also tried.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hint, I tried all sorts of air filter options and airbox mods before I convinced myself pod filters were the way to go.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Airbox mods

Contact triumph twin power, my 11 thruxton had ai removed, 02 sensors removed,airbox split and restrict or plate removed,then breathe air intake and free flowing filter, I then loaded a program specifically for my set up with the tors silencer. They supplied everything and were very helpful. The result was brilliant,massive improvement in bottom end and mid range,as well as a bit more on the top end, it pulls like a train and was well worth the money and the time. It is now the bike that triumph should have made. Yes if you remove the box I'm told you can get more but I'm happy with the boost so far and nothing in the motor has been changed so stresses in the engine stay as per factory. My advice is do it!wal

·
Registered
98 Posts
Air Box Mods

I did the AI removal and TORS when I purchased my 2013 Thruxton. After working on the suspension for a while, I wanted a little more power, so I went for the air box mod. The dealer also removed the 02 sensors on the headers and did a remap. The first thing I noticed was reduced throttle response at low RPMs. The bike did not seem as peppy off the line. The mid-range felt the same, but the top end really opens up now. The engine does not seem like its fighting itself at cruising on the highway. I no longer search for a sixth gear when passing as the engine just revs up to 7 grand with no problems.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is the decel popping a bad thing for the bike or just nature of the bike if air injection removal isnt done? I just picked up my thruxton today with hydes and have decel popping. I didnt get the ai removal, just new pipes with new tune/map from dealer.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is the decel popping a bad thing for the bike or just nature of the bike if air injection removal isnt done? I just picked up my thruxton today with hydes and have decel popping. I didnt get the ai removal, just new pipes with new tune/map from dealer.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I never experienced the decel popping as I did the AI removal and TORS when purchased. I have noticed that a side benefit of AI removal is also less bluing of the pipes it that matters to you.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
Here's a dyno comparison of a factory Bonnie compared to the same bike with airbox mods, TORS and Tune 3 and again with airbox removal, pods, TORS and Tune 11. A Thruxton will produce a little more torque/BHP due to a higher compression ratio, but the power curve is very similar.

As you can see with airbox removal and pods you start to make around 5% more BHP after 6,000rpm to the rev limiter, but you will lose up to 8.5% of your torque in the mid range that you get from just airbox mods.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm assuming you want O2 sensor removal for an EFI twin. If so, first order a obd2 cable from TTP or bel lacrosse. Then remove the O2 sensors up to their connectors. Put heat shrink and some dielectric grease over the connectors still attached to the loom. Plug the holes where the O2 sensors were in the pipe (can't remember bolt size and washer size but they are the same as the SAI plug bolts). Then just run TuneECU and select disable O2 sensors. The hardest part is ordering the cable and waiting for it to arrive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do it this way.

Anyone care to post spiritual guidance on removing the 02 sensors?
I have an O2 removal kit on my Thruxton, but not the one from British Customs.

If you do it this way you don't need to use ECU Tune to delete the O2 sensors from your mapping.

What you do is remove the sensors from the header and plug the header hole with a bung.

Then you replace the sensor with a resistor and wrap the cable up under the fuel tank with wire ties.

The resistor fools the ECU into thinking the O2 levels are optimum levels, so no O2 adjustments are necessary.

Here is the site where you can get this kit.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SmArtMoto/...21443012&_sid=899086662&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I did the AI removal and TORS when I purchased my 2013 Thruxton. After working on the suspension for a while, I wanted a little more power, so I went for the air box mod. The dealer also removed the 02 sensors on the headers and did a remap. The first thing I noticed was reduced throttle response at low RPMs. The bike did not seem as peppy off the line. The mid-range felt the same, but the top end really opens up now. The engine does not seem like its fighting itself at cruising on the highway. I no longer search for a sixth gear when passing as the engine just revs up to 7 grand with no problems.
I do not understand your comment ? Mine is standard apart from BC mufflers and it revs freely to redline, no problems. Whatever you did to the bike will not change the gearbox ratio's, so it will sit on the same rev's (about 3500 I think) at 100km's an hour regardless. The reduced throttle response at low revs you talk about would annoy me far more than anything else.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I do not understand your comment ? Mine is standard apart from BC mufflers and it revs freely to redline, no problems. Whatever you did to the bike will not change the gearbox ratio's, so it will sit on the same rev's (about 3500 I think) at 100km's an hour regardless. The reduced throttle response at low revs you talk about would annoy me far more than anything else.
I forgot to mention I also changed the front sprocket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts