Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done the SEARCH here, there, Google, NB, BC, B-C...all over the place, then I remembered Brit Iron Rebels had a How-To video...checked it out and was wondering is it really necessary to dismantle the entire friggin motorcycle to add TWO SIMPLE ASS K&N Air filters...really? Is there that much of a gain throughout the power band that you have to tear the whole figgin bike (not really)? I mean come on>>> I've seen the post about the "sucking sound" and how cool it sounds? But is it really worth $300.00 and a tear down of the bike? I am a big fan of Go Fast Mods...I'll pay the price, but not if it's gonna disappoint me in the end. So let me have it...what did you encounter? How far did you have to go to access the air box? Were you entirely excited about any gains? Would you spend the money again? Would a high flow filter and some air box mods suffice in comparison to the whole sha-bang? What air box mods would you suggest?

[ This message was edited by: REVOLT on 2006-12-12 19:58 ]

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
seat of pants...dyno runs...to hell with them.

The coolest thing about the airbox elim. kits is how fast the motor races to redline. You will have to shift quickly at wide open throttle to avoid hitting the rev limiter.

It feels like the same bike, only with someone pushing it from behind. Definately worth it, especially if you've already done the pipes.

Oh, and the seat of pants, dyno runs, and sucking sound are all cool.

It's a must-do.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sweat...did you do your own install? Did you tear the bike down like B.I.R.?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I did not do it, I had the dealer do it against my better judgement.

I didn't have a bike jack at the time, and they led me to believe (or let me believe) that it would only take (cost) an hour or 2. I figured that'd be about the same cost as a jack, so I let them do it.

Somehow they managed to take (charge) 4 or 5 hours (x$60) to install the airbox elim.

That's the last time I've had my bike in there for anything, or bought anything from them. You can shear the sheep many times, but skin them only once....

I'm pretty good with the wrenches, I'm about to do my own 904cc install.

I'd do the airbox yourself if you feel capable. You can use the forum for moral support.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just lifted the bike up and disconnected the shocks and took off the left exhaust pipe and lifted it till the rear tire was a little off of the ground. I then used my dremel and cut out a small section of the front left side of the air box because it wouldn't fit through the frame. then i cut it up and put it back in. Pretty simple. Unfortunately i didn't get the jetting right so now i'm waiting on the parts to try it again. It's actually really easy though.
TJ

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It's a whole lot easier to remove the box in small pieces. I did the TommyTurbo airbox cut up and all I had to remove was the side covers. Took a couple hours max, and pulled the carbs to change jets. Which is really easy now with no airbox sandwiching them in.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Revolt: Opening up the airbox is the best mod you can do to the Bonnies motor, takes 2-3 hours, and costs about $100. Save the money from the NARK purchase, and buy a rev limiter to raise your rpm by 1000. You'll love it! If you want the instructions for my airbox mod email me at [email protected], and I'll send you the photos as well as the procedure. Cheers, tommyturbo2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts