Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty then.......I like a little pep in the step of my motorsycle as much as the next guy. But I tend to ride in the rain too.

Any RAIN RIDERS out there with the air box eleimination kit? Now I don't mean getting caught in a shower and pulling over. I've been known to suit up and take off in the rain for 100-300 mile rides.....

So let's hear the Pros and Cons.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I made the trip to bike week this year at ocean city md. It was a nasty weather weekend, but we had a good time nontheless. At the time I still had the stock carbs on my bike with a airbox elim kit.

We ended up riding in the rain for about 4 hours that day with the bike displaying no ill effect's regarding the carbs, somewhere along the way however my indicator relay bounced from it's perch and collected alotta water. It continued to function till I got home on Sunday.

I washed the bike on Monday, it was then that I found the relay full of water refusing to work. Even when emptying the rusty water from it, shaking it, and attempting to dry it out with a hair dryer.

Make sure your electric's are secure :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I installed "Outerwears" water repellant covers over my K&N's just in case I get caught in the rain. I haven't been able to tell any performance differance, and I did ride for a couple of hours in the rain last summer--no problems. They are also nice when you wash the bike as the water drains off the filters without getting the filters wet.

That being said, I rode in the rain back in the old days on the BSA with no extra precaution and the filters were more exposed to the rain than the K&N's on the new bonnie. I remember one particularly hard rain--I tried to cover the filters as much as I could with my legs--ran fine--lucas electrics and all. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
679 Posts
What's "RAIN"?

No problem through the biggest storm I've evr riden through it followed us for about 50 kms. There was water 2" deep on the road.

Darcy

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I try to avoid the rain but used to ride my 1974 Laverda 1000 with open velocity stacks every day rain or shine-usually it rained every afternoon in Florida-no problems except for electrical stuff, the water seemingly not affecting the running of the engine. I am going to get a pair of covers for the K&N filters though.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Kliff, haven't had an airbox for about 14,000 miles now, I've ridden in the rain several times.

We rode to a car/bike show in Luckenbach once, and got caught in a torrential downpour for about 40-50 miles just outside of Johnson City, and rode the whole way about 20mph, there was no where to pull over so we just pushed on. That was probably the heaviest rain I've ridden through. It was so heavy you could barely see. I was wearing a "semi-waterproof" jacket and this is how I arrived at the show:

The bike has never, ever, ever missed a beat in rain. Heavy or light, Tsunami, cold, hot, etc. No prob's at all. I've never heard of anyone else having problems either.

The K&N filters are oiled pretty heavily, and they are a substantial filter. I think that has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Back in the 50s and early 60s Brit bikes didsn't have filters, and the carbs oftened pointed skyward e.g. BSA Goldstar. Rain was never an issue unless it got in the float chamber via the tickler. At that time the float chamber was a separate unit, and you put a baggie over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts