Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air box covers blew off while riding the past 2 days just did about 700 miles into Salt Lake City. My issue is the plastic is broken so they will not be able to go back on. I did try to super glue the nuts back in and do it that way but they still blew off. i had to hold them with my knees till we stopped and they are ok. i don't know much about how to replace the plastic air box itself but i really done want to run into this problem again.
My question is am i able to switch the air box to look like TBS? how would i go about doing this/ what do i need to order? needs to fit a 95 thunderbird.
Or what would you do?

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
My air box covers blew off while riding the past 2 days just did about 700 miles into Salt Lake City. My issue is the plastic is broken so they will not be able to go back on. I did try to super glue the nuts back in and do it that way but they still blew off. i had to hold them with my knees till we stopped and they are ok. i don't know much about how to replace the plastic air box itself but i really done want to run into this problem again.
My question is am i able to switch the air box to look like TBS? how would i go about doing this/ what do i need to order? needs to fit a 95 thunderbird.
Or what would you do?
You can fit a later air box, and it will have the mounting points for the TBS airbox covers. The problem is still the same though- the captive nuts in soft plastic will come loose unless care is taken not to overtighten them. Triumph state something like 3nm of torque, which is little more than hand tight.

You could try fixing the captive nuts on your existing airbox with JB Weld, that worked for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow that is alot of money, I may check around and see if anyone has a used one that they want to sell. Maybe a pod conversion guy wants to help out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was cleaning mine when they let go, thankfully not while I was on the road. I used some two part epoxy that we use in the repair of plastic car bumpers and it held for several weeks but it also let go, once again as I was cleaning. I have made brackets to hold the rear side covers so to delete the rear airbox and they have worked great, so now I'm going to make some to hold the front ones I'll let you know how it goes. By the way there are several sets of the chrome air box covers on ebay.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
"I lost the left side the other day, does anyone know if you can still buy them?"
Is that for a TBS?
If so you can get both from Great Bay cycles as a kit for about $100 US.
They don't list the kit anymore but if you call them they will hook you up.
Are you sure it's a TBird Sport?
If it has the chrome covers, (I just did a pod conversion), you can have mine.
`Cause I ain't goin' back!
Are you in the US.
PM me, I'll send ya mine.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That's not the style I have.
Mine is the big ugly chrome thing used on all the other models Adventurer etc.
Fact is if I still had my airbox on there I would have replaced them with your style.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts