Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think it removes a bit more of pollutants while at idle. Looks better, lowers exhaust temp at idle[?], and is easier to get at plugs when gone.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The system injects fresh air into the exhaust port of the head in an effort to continue combustion (additional oxygen) and reduce emissions. That's the official theory of design. It was used on automobile engines for years in conjunction with an air pump. Personally, I think it just dilutes the exhaust gases. However, if performing as designed, the additional combustion outside the cylinder will increase the temperature of the exhaust and promote bluing of the pipes. This may be exasperated when running with the choke out (more fuel to burn).

Removing the system will neither increase nor decrease performance. If you have an EFI bike, the system will have to be re-mapped it you remove it.

·
29,948 Posts
Towerguy please don't go posting in massive text.

The AI system lets fresh air into the exhaust ports on the cylinder head, which burns unused gas from the combustion process. This in turn reduces emissions from the bike. So basically, the AI system is there to help the stock bike meet EPA mandated standards in the various countries.

It doesn't do anything to help the bike run.

EDIT: thanks for the heads up Joe, I'll merge the threads.

Further edit: done. I'll clean up the posts later.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The AI system is the same pollution band-aid they came up with in 1968 for cars at the beginning of the auto emissions hysteria to pump fresh air into the exhaust ports on the cylinder head, which most likely reads more parts per million of springtime fresh clean air to satisfy a meter, but theoretical purpose is to further burn the exhaust gasses (like trimming a torch flame) ...the added heat keeps your oil cooler hot and expands your clutch cable running nearby so your clutch doesn't release all the way where you had it adjusted and your gears fuzz.

the extra heat in the exhaust keeps hydrocarbon condensation (soot) inside the pipe to a minimum so it can occur some distance away from the machine and they can deny accountability...while blue-ing single wall chrome pipe without conscience.

it's also a piller for you and your spark plug to tango around...as well as a couple more ounces bike weight so you don't seem as fat in comparison.

tho separate departments, the AI designers hang with the guys who thought hippy posey covered 68 tank covers would be a big seller.

altering an emissions system carries severe fines and penalties and can result in being someone's cupcake from dusk to dawn nightly in the big house.

as I see it, the winning argument against it is the oil cooler loses a heat source sitting at lights...others will make perhaps a pipe cosmetics argument against it.

it was put on there at the factory merely to jump thru a regulation hoop.
between the Middle East powderkeg, the Mayan 12-21, 2012 scheduled end of the world, and incoming meteors...I wouldn't sweat either the AI or the prison term.

keep the priorities, and find the center

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the Mayan 12-21, 2012 scheduled end of the world, and incoming meteors...I wouldn't sweat either the AI or the prison term.

keep the priorities, and find the center
Really, man. The Mayans and these meteorites puts it all into perspective, eh? :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I do not have much to add which is substantial information except:
I think it is more than simple dilution of exhaust gasses. The increased heat seems like it indicates that additional combustion is indeed taking place in the headers. Bluer pipes are evidence of this too. The exhaust temperature seems to be increased at idle.

I've removed A/I from two Bonnies now, a 2005 and a 2007 model. There is an immediate increase in odor from the pipes which, I think, comes from increased hydrocarbon emissions.

I've read the legal requirements for Missouri and nothing is mentioned having anything to do with a modification of this type. I do not know about other states or federal requirements. I do know that federal requirements governing pollution equipment on CARS has had a substantial impact on the Missouri laws relating to such equipment. So I would think that either the state of Missouri is choosing to ignore federal requirements governing motorcycle emission equipment OR that there are no federal requirements for motorcycle emission equipment.
Here is my weak logic for doing it: If A/I removal keeps the front of the top end a bit cooler, then it may last a little longer. If it lasts longer then it will be a longer period of time before the worn out machine occupies a landfill... thus reducing pollution. (How's that for a rationalization?) Having said that, I don't buy the logic of the James Watt mentality of "Jesus is coming back soon so why not strip-mine the planet while we can" type of B/S. I DO like to be ecologically friendly.

Edited an hour later:
Thinking about what I wrote above I'm editing to admit that what I have between quote "" marks above cannot be attributed to something that came out of Jame Watt's mouth during his tenure as Ronald Reagan's Secretary of the Interior. His actions did seem to indicate that he would have strip mined the entire planet if given the chance and his message did seem to advocate such behavior based on beliefs in the 'end times' but the above is not something he actually said. But this is all a digression from the point of the thread... sorry

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
AI

Youd accomplish more by putting a straw in the bolt hole in the down pipe & blowing!
As said I think it dilutes the exhaust more than anything! It DOES blue the pipes & about it- get rid of it!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My pipes were totally blued before I'd gone 50 miles, and I blame the AI and leaving the choke on too long. I took it off anyway out of pure revenge. Also, it looked like crap.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The lads in Hinckley put the AI kit on the bike so guys like Brent Smith (NB.com) and Mike Selman (BC.com) can make a living off selling AI removal kits..

Now that they're building EFI Bonnies, I wonder what those guys will do...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts