Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read quite a number of posts that refer to AI removal almost as a necessity. :confused: Why? What are the pros and cons? :confused:

Don

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Removal is not a necessity. It allows the exhaust pipes to run cooler (less bluing) and does eliminate a certain amount of popping on decel. There are no performance gains when it is removed. It does make it easier to get to the spark plugs. That's it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Pros:
(1) Exhaust runs a touch cooler (since unburnt fuel isn't being burned up in the exhaust)
(2) Less unsightly wires and hoses
(3) Marginally easier to change plugs

Cons:
(1) Bike smells a lot worse (since unburnt fuel isn't being burned up in the exhaust)
(2) Have to make sure everything is plugged up properly
(3) Bike won't pass an emissions test
(4) Doing a little more harm to the environment

Side-effects (neither good nor bad):
(1) Pipes blue a little less (but I like blue pipes)

I kept the AI on for 12,000 miles and never minded its presence there. Philosophically I don't like the *idea* of AI because it's adding heat at a place that's already pretty hot. So on a whim I removed mine over the winter. I must say I was surprised at how much stuff you remove when you get rid of it - there's a *LOT* of crap added with the AI system! But I also have to say I was surprised at how much worse my bike smells now. The AI system does a *VERY* good job of eliminating all unburnt hydrocarbons, and without the AI the bike passes a noticeable amount of this stuff through the exhaust. Whereas before my bike smelled no worse than a Honda Civic, now it smells like an old Chevy from the 60s.

There's really not much compelling reason to remove it, and the environmental effects of removing it (and I mean immediate environment, as in "it smells") are significant; and yet I doubt I'll ever put it back on - it just *feels* better on some basic level not to have a bunch of unnecessary hoses and things running around the bike.

My 2¢ anyway.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
AI Smell

My AI is gone since new & there is NO additional smell!! Maybe your a bit rich?? Igot mine tweaked so she runs like a swiss watch! A well tuned bike shouldnt smell! If ya think ai , pumps, & all that pollution crap is really helping- smell a car w/ a catylitic converter & is just a little out of tune! Can gag a maggot!! Cats put out a gas - suphur dioxide. Mix that w/ moisture & ya got supharic acid. Why they make ya point your car away from plants @ condo's. Clean air- KEEP A WELL TUNED ENGINE & KEEP UP W ALL REQUIRED MAINTENENCE!
A bike/ car even slightly outa tune will smell like like a gas station w/ 8-10 vehicles filling up! Problem is most people want to ride & the tuning etc can wait till next time. A good going over 1x a week will keep all in perspective. Hey - Dont forget the ride by getting anal about clean air either!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Removing the AI is a necessity if you start messing with the carbs and exhaust. Run rich with the AI in place, and you'll cook the pipes pretty seriously.

Tune the engine right and there won't be much of an increase in emissions without AI. Mine runs a little rich at idle (to keep it from overheating when I'm stuck in traffic on hot days), so there is a faint odor of gas, but certainly nowhere near as much as most of the old cars I've driven.

The reasons to do it have been outlined pretty well above. If you don't care about any of them, leave it alone.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
You get a lot less bluing and remove a big pile of garbage weighing about 3 lbs. from the bike that is not needed. If you smell gas after AI removal, you have a jetting issue.

·
Registered
740 Posts
+1. Mine only stinks when I pull the choke out.
Well, to be fair, the only time I'm standing around it while it's running is while it's warming up (with the choke out) so that might explain it. Still, with the AI, even on full choke it had almost no odor.

My bike has bone-stock jetting, and if anything it's a little lean - I was thinking of richening the idle mix screws a quarter turn or so.

It's entirely likely that when it's off choke there's no smell; I'm just never standing behind the running bike if it's off choke - I let her run!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well, to be fair, the only time I'm standing around it while it's running is while it's warming up (with the choke out) so that might explain it. Still, with the AI, even on full choke it had almost no odor.
I had a thought that convinced me to remove the system a long time ago. When cold and the choke is pulled, the AI system is providing additional air to continue the burn. I was afraid that the mixture was so rich that I probably had flames continuing down the exhaust. No wonder the pipes get blue.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had a thought that convinced me to remove the system a long time ago. When cold and the choke is pulled, the AI system is providing additional air to continue the burn. I was afraid that the mixture was so rich that I probably had flames continuing down the exhaust. No wonder the pipes get blue.
Yeah, you know, as I posted the above comment I had the exact same idea. I hadn't thought of that before, but as I posted the bit about my bike smelling like gas when the choke is pulled, I realized that means the AI system was burning up a good deal of fuel inside my headers before. Of course, I guess that's a pretty good way to warm up that engine! Seems that's the best argument for removing the AI system...

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I removed mine because I wanted easier access to the spark plugs. That alone is reason enough to remove the AI system.
I agree. My headers were already blue, but I also wanted to free up some room for the harness for my high/low beam HID kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts