Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have TOR'S on my 03 Bonnie & its been jetted, If i was to colse off the AI what are the benefits & would that give that sound of the Old School Triumph? My Dealer wont do it ? so i am sure if i had some sort of Dirrections i could figure it out. Maybe i am in just in denial, at this point i dont want to shell out $800 for after market pipes right now. I will however put a budget together in the future.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
There is an AI removal kit available from newbonneville.com, and I believe it has good instructions with it. However, if you have a California model, it will have a bit more "stuff" associated with the AI; and I am not sure the instructions cover the California models.

I don't believe the sound will change any after AI removal. AI removal will not help or hurt performance IMHO.

Larry

·
Registered
666 Posts
SBGunslinger,

I have the Bub pipes so I am not sure how this will relate to you but when I removed the AI my bike actually was quieter. Especially when decelerating via the engine. The thing used to pop and cuss before now hardly a pop. I do not have anyway to actually measure the decibels but a friend also said the bike was not as loud even when accelerating. Not sure how this is possible unless I am running rich and the AI is burning up the excess fuel in the pipes, secondary combustion maybe, best I can figure.

My neighbors thank me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vertwrks, Thanks BRO...... I was on this web site for Americas or the Speedies and they had audio & video for the different pipes. So i have some ideal what it all about. I was crossed between the Bonnie or the America when i saw this 03 T100 GRN. & GLD. i was in love Dude, am happy.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
SB,

I'm in CA, too. Just did the AI removal. It was really easy. Not a whole lot of stuff to take off.

The Jenks AI kit comes with short instructions, but download the detailed ones here:

http://www.triumph-bonneville.com/images/AI.pdf

before you get into it, make sure oyu have some copper anti-seize grease and some blue RTV style sealant handy.

I have the staintune megaphones on mine. When I did the AI removal, I didn't notice any change in the sound of the bike with one exception...a lot less popping on deceleration.

cheers!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I removed the AI before I had even used the bike. It is fairly easy, the most difficult you have to do is to take take of the tank because there is a valve mechanism underneath.
The pipings in the cylinder heads are a bit tight so I recommend a ring spanner on those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts