Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dealer install the AI kit on my bike and now it is much more difficult to start. I have taken it back and they assure me that everything is fine and they can not figure out what the problem is.
All I know is this. Is before the kit, even on the coldest mornings, the bike would start in two to three tries. The other day It took 25.
I have checked all the obvious things like plugs and wires and that kind of stuff and found nothing.
The other interesting thing to note is that once the bike is warm it runs like a champ.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
the removal of A1 "should" not have affected the way it starts or runs.
G

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
But it does affect both the way it starts and runs.

I found my Bonneville harder to start after removing the AI as well.

I also found that when riding in cool weather (below 55 degrees or so), there was a performance issue as well. Riding at a steady 55-65mph in 5th gear (ie, low revs, high airflow over the headers), the engine would stumble a bit if I rolled on the throttle.

I theorized that since the AI combusts unburned fuel in the exhaust headers, thereby superheating the exhaust gases and keeping them flowing faster (and possibly heating the cylinder head a bit as well from heat conducted through the header pipes), the lack of AI combined with cold air flowing over the headers must have meant that the exhaust gases were cooling off too quickly and either becoming sufficiently dense to create too much backpressure, or else allowing the cylinder head to cool too much.

I had been thinking about wrapping my headers anyway just because I think it looks cool, and figured that the wrap would also insulate the headers and prevent the exhaust gases from cooling off so quickly, so I tried it, and sure enough, no more stumbling. (The header wrap didn't help when starting the bike though.)

--mark

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Up the pilot jets to 42s.Pull the choke out ,don't touch the throttle for a minute.Should start and wam right up.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'm trying to think back to when I removed mine .... are there any vacuum line ports the dealer could have failed to plug? I don't remember this being more than a 20 minute job, and one that would be difficult to goof up.

BTW - my bike has always been difficult to start when cold. Rejetting helped a great deal.

Bob

·
Registered
744 Posts
there is a vaccuum port cap in the kit. if it fell off or was popped off by a backfire, starting and running would be affected. my performance didnt change.
cliff

·
Registered
68 Posts
The AI removal should have no effect on start-up. After removing mine on my 06 Scrambler I noticed no difference in starting in cold temps. I pull the choke, it's starts right up. I let the engine start to speed up and I push the choke back in.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
alti',

With the AI removal kit fitted, as well as the cap that goes on the manifold there is also a plastic plug about 1/2" diameter that goes in the airbox. This has been known to pop out on some bikes and will make it run weak. Check if yours is still there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. Where exactly is the plug?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
plug,

is on top of the airbox, left of centre, where the AI hose used to get it's air supply from. Here's a picture from the rat shop album:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool. Thanks for the photo. Ill check it when I get home today.

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts