Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2010, when Triumph released the new designed Thunderbird, I fell in love. Eight years later, I purchased the bike that was pictured in the reviews (same colour scheme and everything.) I truly love that bike. I named her Spero. We have done a lot of miles together. I still love her. The trouble: she is nearing 75 k miles, her belt drive is 27.5 mm (.5 below spec). She is due for her 72 k major, she has a fuel sensor issue and a throttle sensor issue. All told somewhere between $3-5k of maintenance. I can purchase a used Thunderbird with under 20k miles for under $7k.

I dreamed of passing this bike onto my son who is in the navy one day, and if I was mechanically minded I probably would try. But is it worth the headache? First world problems, cause in the interim, I am loving riding my Tiger.
What would you do?

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneviulle Street Twin
110 Posts
Tough decision, but probably replace the belt and the sensors myself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine has 85k and the belt is certainly ready as is a bunch of other maintenance. I love the thing dearly but the truth is, they are long out of production and the bike never sold well so used parts are getting hard to find and new impossible. My solution is i'll be likely going to a 2022 T120. Far far better MPG and far lower tire and other maintenance costs. I contemplated selling her for around $3k and getting a low mileage one for $5-6 which i see fairly often. Having an almost new one would be great. But i never live that dream for more then a few minutes before i look at the pic of the colbalt blue 2022 T120 and dream of 60-70 MPG, ride by wire, cruise control, and the ability to ride as much as i want w/o going broke. I'll miss the Bird. Fav bike to date after starting to ride in 1969 with a lot of bikes since then. None could touch the Tbird. It's an amazing machine. But it's time...

·
Registered
21 Posts
In 2010, when Triumph released the new designed Thunderbird, I fell in love. Eight years later, I purchased the bike that was pictured in the reviews (same colour scheme and everything.) I truly love that bike. I named her Spero. We have done a lot of miles together. I still love her. The trouble: she is nearing 75 k miles, her belt drive is 27.5 mm (.5 below spec). She is due for her 72 k major, she has a fuel sensor issue and a throttle sensor issue. All told somewhere between $3-5k of maintenance. I can purchase a used Thunderbird with under 20k miles for under $7k.

I dreamed of passing this bike onto my son who is in the navy one day, and if I was mechanically minded I probably would try. But is it worth the headache? First world problems, cause in the interim, I am loving riding my Tiger.
What would you do? View attachment 757172
I’m at 85k, just spent 3k on her last yr. first major $ investment in 10 yrs. I’ll keep her going!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Honestly if you cannot or are not willing to do some maintenance on a bike/car it's probably best to replace it every 4-5 years.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
,,,,I love the thing dearly but the truth is, they are long out of production and the bike never sold well so used parts are getting hard to find and new impossible. My solution is i'll be likely going to a 2022 T120....
Over the last year, I've ordered some fairly obscure new oem parts for my 2013 TBird and other than waiting a couple of weeks for delivery, had no problem getting them. OEM accessories are another story, but not parts.
T120 vs Thunderbird is apples vs oranges; really not a comparison. The T120 is more a sport bike than a cruiser. Sounds to me like you just want a T120. :D So get one! I've got a Bonneville Mag and it's a ton of fun. But it's not a TBird. I wouldn't even consider touring on the Bonneville.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over the last year, I've ordered some fairly obscure new oem parts for my 2013 TBird and other than waiting a couple of weeks for delivery, had no problem getting them.
Wish I could say the same, my 2016 TBird needs a belt and it has been back ordered for 38 days and Triumph has no ETA for me. Looking into after market.

·
Registered
2013 Thunderbird 1600
27 Posts
The lack of parts is really aggravating. I wanted to buy the OEM floorboard kit, of course it's discontinued and not available anywhere. I see you have aftermarket boards in the photo. What are they, and do you like them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts