Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Reading this set me to thinking about how much better ( newer?) the roads and general infrastructure seems to be the further west you go in the USA. Could it be the weather conditions or just the difference in the age from the eastern cities.
As a truck driver who has driven in every state in the US, I've seen it all. It's surprising that some of the states that have the worst weather have the better roads. I'm sure it has as much to do with amount of traffic and how much the local/state is willing to pay for safe roads. The out west argument loses it's gusto as soon as you enter California. And Vermont has pretty good roads, plenty of salt, not a huge amount of traffic, but the state seems to keep up with Maintenance.

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Infrastructure--where there's a will, there's a way

The Dutch and the Germans have two of the finest rail systems and some of the best roads in the world. Despite local griping, they maintain them to superb standards, and it contributes to their prosperity.

Spending is always a matter of setting priorities and setting taxes to support the priorities. Infrastructure is extremely important to these two countries, and they spend accordingly. We all get to use their world-class infrastructure when we visit.

If our infrastructure is falling apart, it's because we're not willing to pay to maintain it to a higher standard--our priorities are elsewhere. Unfortunately, the price will eventually be paid one way or another, as when the bridges collapse and the rail passenger system deteriorates into irrelevance even as flying becomes a major nuisance.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I've read that the US interstate freeway system was compromised from their inception in the 1950s. When it was decided to build them to a lower standard than the German Autobahns they were modelled on, for reasons of cost. This is why they've always had a speed limit on them, as they're not considered to be strong enough to cope with unlimited speeds.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Texas roads for the most part are in very good condition. You don't need a sign to tell you that you crossed into another state.
My tires beg to differ. I got a set of new 'uns 2 days ago. Already got a flat thanks to a "scab" of cement in the road where I couldn't see/avoid it... Then there's the uneven seams that have caused me to get air on my S3 (me, not the bike...) Add to that the retarded merger @ 183 --> 35E.... NO MERGING ZONE! Just straight two lanes into one, with one higher than the other and difficult visibility. You have practically 1-2 seconds to check for other traffic before it's too late. Locals change lanes early, but anyone else... First time I drove down that highway it scared the living @*%#*$ out of me... :eek:

TXDOT went full-retard on this one:

Attachments

41 - 45 of 45 Posts