Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay folks - every now and then we see posts saying the speedos are 10% - has anyone confirmed this.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry got distracted - that was - i keep reading they are 10% off - is that because of tire choice or just in general. and is that 10% plus or minus?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Just finished reading the Triumph Scrambler article in May 2006 Cycle World, and in the Specification Section the speedometer error was a solid 10% high of indicated value (27 mph actual at an indicated 30, 54 mph actual at an indicated 60).

Shorty

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2006-04-17 12:00 ]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm seeing 10% the other way on my Speedmaster. Took the small GPS with me this morning and at an indicated 70 mph my GPS only showed 62 MPH so slightly worse than 10%. It has been my experience that most european bikes have an optimistic speedometer.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Sorry...I screwed up and edited my input above. What bbrovolt said is correct. The speedometer reads consistently 10% high referenced to actual speed.

Shorty

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Bonnie Speedo shows about 5 mph less than I'm going (I think).

Went riding with my brother this weekend and he said we were doing 70 mph on this one stretch of road (he has an FZ6). However, my speedo never registered more than 65. So mines been about 10% less.

... Yes officer, I know how fast I was going... hehehe

[ This message was edited by: BonnieMer on 2006-04-17 16:25 ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Clocking five mile markers at a time, I find that mine is ten percent optimistic

Here's how a couple of mine run out (indicated):
When the YZF-R6 says 70 mph
Speedmaster = 65
Kaw ZR-7 = 65
VTX-1300 = 65
Road King = 60

Want to know your speed and don't have a GPS unit or a friend with a radar gun?

3,600 divided by the number of seconds for one mile gives you the actual speed. Doesn't make any difference what speed you use to clock the run.

I try to clock at least three and then take the time in seconds and divide it by three to get a good average.

Try this at least twice and with two different sets of mile markers. They're remarkably accurate.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
10% fast--at least that is according to the Highway Patrol radar--sure glad it was not 10% slow as I was indicating 87 mph when he caught me. His radar gun showed 78 mph--it was a 65 mph speed zone. :(

Larry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Went past one of those portable roadside speed signs the other day and at 45mph it indicated that I was doing 41mph.

With a 4 mph dif that would be roughly, hmmm 10%.

:cool:

Dave

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does this happen for all models and all years? This doesnt make any sense - why not just fix it years ago. - Also does this happens more or less depending on the speed range? say over 100 or less?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't imagine why motorcycle makers cannot get speedometers correct. My BMW 1200GS is off about the same so is my Honda Gold Wing. Same for my new Scrambler.

It's really bad.

It's critical to know how fast you are going on a bike. It's like they want you to go about five miles an hour slower.

On the Gold Wing, it's a popular mod to put on a 70 series (bigger) tire to "change" gear ratios. Among that and other things, it makes the speedo read correct.

It's probably a conspiracy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It has been my understanding that fines are heavy to the mfger's if the speedo is found to be high. You can have speed tickets thrown out of court if high. They err on the side of caution ( learned it from the automotive industry many years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts