Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the aftermarket winkers/blinkers I've seen are tiny, and they're not DOT approved. So that has me wondering--are they unsafe for riding on busy roads? Right now, it seems as if only the Lucas replicas are easily visible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ride with a little skull cap. Is it DOT approved? No. However it looks rad. Thats the price you pay. I love my helmet and would never give it up.

Andy

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have some mini indicators front and rear and they are pretty bright...people tell me they are indeed visible when I use them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
One thing about after market turn signals is that it's one of the more economical and easy mods you can do. The stock ones are very visible, and I'm sure there are after market ones that are too. The only thing I really bothered me about the stock ones were the length of the stems, which I took care of already. I say get what you want and what meets your needs be it looks or performance.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i have no personal experience but i have heard the led lights are so narrowly focused that unless the cagers are directly in line that they cannot see the lights. i have not noticed myself but life is simple here and traffic is quiet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I did the cut down on my stock blinkers and love the looks! It changed my mine about going with something else.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My after market blinkers are brighter than stock most are as the plastic is a little thinner. Leds are very light focused to operate correctly you need ones that have a few leds on the back to hit the reflector and fill the housing with light.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, of all things on my bike, I'm the most nervous about screwing with anything that makes me more visible to cagers. I ride in a lot of traffic, and people here are idiots. I think eventually I'll go for the New Bonneville plug-n-play light set with the Lucases. They're similar in size to the stockers, but look quite a bit better. But I'm going to consider the small rectangles, too.

Thanks for the advice. My next two projects are the front fender, then the lights. Then, photos. :)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Poffy,if visability is your goal,,IMO you need multiple lights on at the same time.A running light set-up of any kind will be more effective than coffee can size winkers that only light up when you`re turning..Maybe not Aspencade class running lights but a few bright marker lights will get you seen but not made fun of.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have seen VERY few after-market "winkers" bright enough to offer me the security I seek from my indicators. In addition, the trend to mount them so close to the center of the bike makes them virtually useless when signaling a turn. From a distance, it looks like there might be a blinking light up ahead, but certainly indistinguishable from the center running lamp, let alone a signal on either the right side of the bike or the left.

I've ridden behind many an after-market tail lamp and indicator, and a MAJORITY of them are useless..... affording the owner of the bike nothing more than mere cosmetics. A conspicuous brake lamp and conspicuous signals is as important to me as good brakes and suspension components...... but that's just me.

It's not to say that good stuff isn't out there to be had, it's just a matter of shopping around and finding something that makes you look 'tough-n-fine' AND works well. It can be done.
:cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, John. Just so you're aware, those particular signals generally cost $25 a pair. You're asking $75 for 2 pairs, which is probably why you haven't gotten inquiries.

Here's a link to the same winkers at BellaCorse.

Sport Winkers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I believe the difference is that the ones I have have OE connectors...no splicing. I paid just over $75 with shipping from New Bonneville. They have never been installed.

I can document the original price.

John

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I put on these monster size ones with short stems that I got from Enfield. They took a little doing, but not too hard.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've often wondered why the front turn signals on many motorycycles (the Bonneville included) aren't equipped with dual-filament bulbs so that they act as running lights as well. I mean, if 66% of the car-vs-motorcycle accidents are from drivers turning left into the rider's path, shouldn't running lights be useful in helping that single headlight to stand out from the crowd?

http://pweb.jps.net/~wjmetz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/runninglights.jpg

I bought a pair of aftermarket, dual-lead sockets at the local car parts store. They ran all of $3 apiece:

http://pweb.jps.net/~wjmetz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/newsocket.jpg

I used a large drill to remove each single-lead socket from its mount in the front turn signals (admittedly the Lucas repros, but this could possibly also be done to the stock signals). I removed the unneeded bits from the new sockets using a grinder (a file would work just as well, just take a tad more effort). The old socket removed from its mount, the new socket got soldered into place:

http://pweb.jps.net/~wjmetz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/signalmod.jpg

I did have to replace one of the dual-filament socket's lead wires with one of the same gauge but clad in thinnner insulation than the original piece- those thin stalks have a fairly narrow passage running through them. Once the wires were run through the stalks I covered them with shrink tubing for extra insulation (they blend in with the rest of the wiring better as well. I used the stock connector from the original socket to connect the "blinker" lead at the wiring harness. I wired this so that the brigher filament of the dual-filament bulb is used for signaling. For the "running" lead (the dimmer filament that stays on all of the time) I spliced into the wiring harness at the headlight's socket, tapping in to the low beam's hot lead. I used aftermarket bullet connectors (female sockets at the headlight lead, male plugs at the turn signal lead) so that if they shook loose there wouldn't be a short.

So now any time the low beam is on, the running lights are on. If I hit the high beam, the running lights are off so that more wattage is available for the high beam's demands. You could also find an "always on" source (instrument lights, perhaps) if you wanted the running lights to remain on with the high beam on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2007-01-25 01:05, altlcrzy wrote:
I ride with a little skull cap. Is it DOT approved? No. However it looks rad. Thats the price you pay. I love my helmet and would never give it up.
I worked for 15 years in emergency rooms and intensive care units. Trust me, having brains dripping out of your ears, or a jaw that's ground down to the bone by asphalt is too high a price to pay for looking "rad".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for letting me know. I believe the difference is that the ones I have have OE connectors...no splicing. I paid just over $75 with shipping from New Bonneville. They have never been installed.
Hey, fair enough. It is a legitimate convenience to have the OE connectors.

I still can't decide which way to go, but I'm leaning towards the Lucases. We'll see. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts